Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you sew the mitered corners of your binding on both sides of the quilt? >

Do you sew the mitered corners of your binding on both sides of the quilt?

Do you sew the mitered corners of your binding on both sides of the quilt?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:17 AM

Question Do you sew the mitered corners of your binding on both sides of the quilt?

I sew my bindings on the front of the quilt and then fold over to the back. After the binding is sewn on the back, I then sew the 4 mitered corners on the back.

My ? is: Are you suppose to sew the miters on the front of the quilt also?
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 AM

I sew my binding the opposite way, sew it on from the back fold it forward and machine sew the binding in place from the front. I make mitered corners on all the corners, but have never sewn the little mitered corners before, it never occurred to that they needed to be sewn.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:40 AM

I take a few hand stitches in the mites on both sides.

Rob
Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

if you are making a quilt for show, the judges do look for the miters to be sewn on both sides.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 AM

The founder of the Vermont Quilt Festival told me that when he judges quilts in a show, he always looks to make sure there are a few stitches on the miter, front and back. However, if I'm not concerned about being judged (which is most of the time), I don't if it feels tight enough.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

I machine sew to the front and hand sew the binding in the back. I sew my miters closed, front and back as I am hand sewing the binding to the back. I also knot my binding and bury the knot occasionally as I go.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
I take a few hand stitches in the mites on both sides.

Rob
I do the same.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

Yes I do, both on 100% machine bindings (I will hand stitch the miters closed front and back) and when I machine stitch to the front and hand sew the back. I do it for both show quilts and utility quilts.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I hand sew front and back miters as I go. It is hard getting through all those layers, and I'm not sure why I do it since I don't enter competitions and don't see how it really makes a difference in the looks of the quilt or in its utility. But I do it anyway.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:43 AM

I usually do. I attach my binding by machine, and when I hit a corner I usually go a few stitches down the new direction to tack it down, then reverse back to the corner, switch to a very narrow zig-zag and stitch over the miter to the corner and then reverse and stitch backwards back onto the quilt, pivot, switch back to straight stitch, and keep going.

It would never pass for a judge, but for quilts I give away to friends and family it works great - fast, efficient, and secure. My thread usually matches my binding so it's not very apparent either way.

The only quilt I've ever entered into the fair, I did not sew the miters. I attached the binding by machine with a decorative stitch and left the corners alone. I won a 4th place ribbon, which I did not expect. But it was the local county fair, not a quilt show. I expect an actual quilt show would be more picky, when awarding ribbons.