Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Baby Lock Journey vs Bernina 790 >

Baby Lock Journey vs Bernina 790

Baby Lock Journey vs Bernina 790

Old 09-21-2017, 05:48 AM

Default Baby Lock Journey vs Bernina 790

I have a basic Singer machine and I am looking to buy a new machine primarily used for quilting and would have embroidery capabilities. I have already researched quite a bit online and visited a couple shops and am looking to buy a Baby Lock Journey or a Bernina 790. I could get a pretty good deal on either (with the Bernina being a 2 month old floor model). The Baby Lock has 11.25" work space and has a lot of other great features. The Bernina has a 10" work space, also with other great features but not as many embroidery features as the Journey (I think). The Bernina seems like it is a better quality machine overall. I like both shops I visited and they both have on-site technicians if I would need to bring it in. Any thoughts that could really help sway me one way or the other- like what the embroidery would be like- or any other thoughts?? Does the 1.25" make that big of a difference with big projects?
Old 09-21-2017, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't think that inch or so makes much difference.
I only know Berninas and love mine. But I've heard the Babylock is good too.
You will get lots of help here.
But I do love my Bernina and would buy another in a heartbeat if needed.

Oh- welcome to the board!
Old 09-21-2017, 06:15 AM

One difference between the two machines is the bobbin/hook system. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I see too many of those drop-in bobbins jam when you try to do anything heavy -- like bindings, denim or multiple layers. I have one student who bought a high end Babylock and has had to send it back twice because she broke the plastic needle bar part while sewing on a binding.

Does the Journey have the scan and digitize feature built in? The Bernina has an embroidery software upgrade that costs $700 to $900 to add. The 790 has the built-in dual feed (like a walking foot).

Just some things to think about.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 AM

I have the brother version of the unity(a step above the journey) and spent an entire day on the 7 series bernina the 765 I believe without the embroidery and much prefer my brother honestly. I don't feel the quality is different. i have had my machine a little over 5 years and it has been superb. The bernina was so difficult to work with and I had a lot of tension issues. I was just so disappointed in it overall not to mention the prices of accessories are outrageous in m opinion. I also have used a 5 series as well and wasn't impressed with that either. I used my machine right out of the box no classes. and it does just beautiful work. I have made thick bags, quilts, a pageant dress it really does beautiful on everything
Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
One difference between the two machines is the bobbin/hook system. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I see too many of those drop-in bobbins jam when you try to do anything heavy -- like bindings, denim or multiple layers. I have one student who bought a high end Babylock and has had to send it back twice because she broke the plastic needle bar part while sewing on a binding.

Does the Journey have the scan and digitize feature built in? The Bernina has an embroidery software upgrade that costs $700 to $900 to add. The 790 has the built-in dual feed (like a walking foot).

Just some things to think about.
My machine handles thick items like a champ and does binding beautifully. The vseries machines( crescendo, aria, journey and unity) have great piercing power, and the muvit foot(dual feed) is my absolute favorite feature. I have all the accessories for it. It is worth getting the machine for that feature alone IMHO, even piecing with it is superb
Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 AM

muvit foot does 10 layers of denim, perfect stitching as well
Old 09-21-2017, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

Welcome to the board!
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

I would look into the comparable Brother machine to that Babylock. You'll pay less money and get features the Babylock doesn't have.

Cari
Old 09-21-2017, 02:52 PM

I have the Babylock Crescendo and like it very much. I went with Babylock because the headquarters are local, therefor the service is very good, and convenient. We no longer have a Bernina dealer in town, so that brand is just not in my future (although I do have an old 1120 that I will never part with)