Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Buttonholer for a Singer 285K? >

Buttonholer for a Singer 285K?

Buttonholer for a Singer 285K?

Old 09-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Default Buttonholer for a Singer 285K?

Anybody know what model# is the correct one for a 285K? I tried a Greist rotary buttonholer that I have, but the needle kept wanging into the feed cover plate. This one says Brother on the end of the box (could this be the problem? Maaaaaaayyybe, lol) and it has a sticker on the other end that says 2616. No idea if this is the model # or not.

Is there a Comprehensive List of Vintage Buttonholer Makes and Models? I'm a little spoiled by the ISMACS site, can you tell?
Thanks, Patti
Old 09-27-2017, 02:20 AM

Greist made buttonholers for lots of brands and as I'm sure you know, and different models have their particular fitting for the presser bar screw. In addition there's high shank, slant shank and low shank. The 185K is a standard low shank. The attachment should fit pefectly into the square part of the presser bar and the screw has to be tightened well. The feed cover plate has to be the right one too of course, but as long as the needle hole is in the clear it's likely fine.

There are several types that should work just as well for your model, the black Singer buttonholers with or with out templates, as well as the newer with white or colored plastic cover. There is a couple of a later version with extra large plastic cams, I think there's a low shank version for it too. Here's a good post on various types, most of them come in a low shank version.

Last edited by Mickey2; 09-27-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:07 AM

I'm a little confused. A picture of buttonholer and box might help. Do you have a manual for it? If you take the buttonholer off and rotate the hand wheel by hand does the needle strike the feed dog cover? I have a couple of Greist in the tan box (and some others, too) The ones in the tan box that say Rotary Buttonholer are for a low shank and should work with the 285.

If you post pictures, they usually have to be resized. If you want you can email them to the address that I gave you in the PM that I sent you this morning and I would be happy to resize if needed and post them for you.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:36 AM

The way I understand it, any Singer button hole attachment should work, as long as it's not for a slant needle machine.

If I were you, I'd buy the one in the dark green plastic box. They are inexpensive (all are used) and work easily with minimal adjustments. You can get the instruction book at ismacs.org if it doesn't have one. Make sure it comes with the metal templates. I think the one from my mother's machine has 7 or 8 of the little metal "cams".

This has some information on the buttonholers.

http://vintagesewingroom.freshwaterfibers.com/2015/11/which-buttonhole-attachment-fits-my.html

Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 AM

Have you used this machine very much? Brian Remlinger has a video review of the 285K and has nothing good to say about it, saying to avoid it.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
Have you used this machine very much? Brian Remlinger has a video review of the 285K and has nothing good to say about it, saying to avoid it.
Yes, I saw that after I bought it, but I think I may like it in spite of all that. It sews significantly faster than my other machines, and as I am used to my ailing Necchi Supernova in high gear, that is a big thing for me. The vibration, etc, caused by the rack and pinion (or whatever its officially called) is not too much of an issue for me. I only paid $20.99 for it, and its a really lovely color of bluish green, both of which are big, if intangible plusses. How it sews will be the most important, of course, and I have yet to really get into that. I've only had it a few days and I had to clean and oil it, etc.
My dh is a mechanical engineer, so we got to have a little confab about the rack and a discussion about the built in slop at the end of the throw, etc. Its nice to finally get a machine that is a little bit interesting for him, lol.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:04 PM

The 285 has developed the worst reputation after the video lol. He compares in to a 99 which is generally fast enough and a nice running machine. You are the third person I come across on the web who likes the 285, but I guess it has to do with what you compare it with and how much noise you are willing to work with in the long run. I have yet to sew on a 285. Is it faster than a 99? A 99 can be very noisy until all things are sorted out; it's usually all about cleaning and oiling, and making sure there's cushioning feet under the base. Felt and rubber feet are sometimes missing on old machines.