Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy vs Scrap >

Scrappy vs Scrap

Scrappy vs Scrap

Old 09-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Default Scrappy vs Scrap

To my mind,

A "scrappy" quilt has many different fabrics in it, but the fabrics are (usually) more or less coordinated and the layout is planned.

A "scrap" quilt is literally made from left-overs, odds and ends, and may or may not look coordinated or planned. It will usually end up being a "utilitarian" quilt rather than a "showpiece."

What are your opinions about the two descriptions? Or are the words interchangeable to you?
Old 09-28-2017, 08:25 AM

I agree that 'scrap quilt' would suggest it is made from actual scraps. However, I don't think it suggests an unplanned quilt (Bonnie Hunter quilts, for example); I think it would just as likely involve a pattern as a quilt made with just a few fabrics. And I don't think it would necessarily be utilitarian rather than a showpiece, although I do think random (as opposed to color-coordinated) scrap quilts tend to have a homier look.

I think people use 'scrappy' to mean various things. To me (because I don't have a large stash or a well-organized reserve of scraps), 'scrappy' means that I've used a variety of fabrics to represent a single color in the quilt, and that I've most likely bought at least some of them specifically for that quilt.

I think some people use the terms interchangeably, to mean a multi-colored quilt made with many randomly chosen leftover fabrics.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

I use the terms interchangeably
Old 09-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

My take on it is "random scrappy" where you use up the scraps you have without being color selective(maybe just darks and lights) or "controlled scrappy" where you might use lots of scraps but in a more color controlled way such as Bonnie Hunter. I've done one Bonnie Hunter quilt and plan to do a random scrappy HST quilt in the future.

Cari
Old 09-28-2017, 10:34 AM

when I do scrappy (as all my recent quilts have been) it simply means instead of using one red I use twenty, and so on.

I have also done your version of scrap over the years Sharon, There is one gracing the doggies little red wagon on the porch as we speak
Old 09-28-2017, 11:08 AM

They mean the same to me.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:38 AM

I don't really know what I'd label them, but I do distinguish between a quilt that I've pulled multiple fabrics from my stash, even if it's fat quarters or layer cakes - from one that I've done specifically to use up what is in my scrap bins.

I'd lean towards "scrap quilt" being one I made with my scraps, and I'd refer to one using a multitude of different fabrics in a color group instead of one, to be scrappy style.

here is a scrap quilt - don't know how many different fabrics, but it's going to be several hundred. And all out of the scrap bins.

this one has about 30 different fabrics, none out of the scrap bins, but it's "scrappy" in that there are multiple fabrics for each color group except the yellow and blue. But the colors go in specific spots on the quilt.

this one is made from 91 different fabrics, no scraps, and no color groups, so I don't consider this one "scrappy" .

Old 09-28-2017, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Macybaby - all three of those quilts are awesome!

The first one is with all the "sampler type blocks" works well. The alternating of the "lights" and "darks" makes that one outstanding.

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-28-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:55 PM

macy, your 365 challenge quilt is really coming along. I've been working on mine all day for two days, easier done when the house is quiet
Old 09-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Power Poster

Macybaby- love your quilts!
I love scrappies- made with scraps