Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt >

Accuquilt

Accuquilt

Old 09-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Accuquilt

I was wondering if those of you who use "Accuquilt Go" enjoy using it. I am thinking of getting one and would like any information you would like to share. Pros and cons? Thank you in advance!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:22 PM

I have the Go and the Studio at home, and the Studio at work. The die that we use the most at work is the tumbler. We have a 4" tumbler (with 6 cuts on a board) and a 7" tumbler (with 4 cuts on a board). At home I have the "nesting die" that can cut 4 different sizes of tumblers, but only one cut at a time.

The thing I wish I could do is to buy dies with several of the same shape on a single board. Like one that has 8 5-inch squares, so I could cut 8 X 8 layers = 64 squares with one pass. It takes just as long to cut by rotary cutter as it does with a single shape on a die.

It's fun to have custom dies made, too. I had some made for my home business, and octagons for my Denim Stars quilt. I want to have some miniature Dresden plate dies made, to cut the scraps that are leftover.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I have the Accuquilt Go and I love it! I was on the fence for several months and now am so glad I got it. It's really fun to use and makes perfect cuts!
One reason I was on the fence was the cost of the cutter and the dies but it's really worth it to me. I have some basic dies- squares, triangles, and a 2 inch binding die. Really enjoying the precision and am making nicer blocks. The cutter is very easy to use and I have the crank.
One thing- the crank is great if you have no problems with your arms, wrists, etc. It cranks easily but if I had physical limitations I would get the electric Go.
The only con I can think of is the cost and I no longer think that, given how nice the system is.
Hope this helps!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:32 PM

All of my friends have the GO (with the crank) and I've been invited MANY times to use theirs. My shoulder still needs resting, but I will say that I enjoyed my workout with it. I've since purchased the GO BIG, and have offered all of my friends the use of my GO BIG, with THEIR dies. I have the die that came with the GO BIG (the flying geese), but I do not have other dies. So with THEIR dies, and my GO BIG, we will have a blast.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:43 PM

The biggest problem with the Accuquilt is which dies to to buy first. I bought my Go at the Road to CA quilt show several years ago. They had a sale going for the dies too so I was having trouble which ones I wanted first. Since then I wait for their sales and buy what I want to work on next.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:04 PM

I got the Accuquilt Go Big (electric one)2 Christmases ago and love it! I have arthritis in shoulder and hands and found cutting a whole quilt caused so much pain that then I wouldn't be able to sew. i started with the strip bundle (6.5"; 3.5",4.5", 2.5", 2", 1.5", 1") and use it every quilt it seems--you can do a 2nd cut and do squares and rectangles and diamonds on them too. I got the Qube (12' since that's the size I make most often) and the Qube Companion last Christmas and love them too. I had the opportunity to purchase one of the Board member's dies (she was switching systems) and feel that I have all the basics now! it's so much fun to cut a quilt in hardly any time at all.
And it's so accurate! That was another thing I struggled with, especially as my hands would start hurting. I recently used the drunkard's path die and got those perfect curves with no tucks and used 2 pins! so YES--it's been worth it to me!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 PM

I have the studio and I love it! Arms and hands have 'issues' with cutting and the accuquilt has minimized that problem. I use a lot of strip dies, square dies and half square triangles. I went on a buying rampage when I first got the studio but have not used some of them yet. So I'm on a die-it - no more dies unless it is really unique or I want to make a quilt that absolutely requires it. You'll hear this from all of us who owns an accuquilt die cutter - buy dies on sale!
Old 09-29-2017, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Die-it- hahaha!
Old 09-29-2017, 05:06 AM

I have the GO and many dies-bougt before they came out with the Qubes! Then one day at a hobby lobby there was a clearance on Sizzix big shot and all dies....yes, I did it! And have purchased more dies - they have great sales....and now MSQC carries the product...so now what I didn't have in accuquilt dies I have supplemented in Sizzix.....now looking to buy the bigger Sizzix cutter..easier to crank.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

I think my Go die cut machine is as important as my sewing machine. I have the Go crank and the Go Big. I have all the geometric dies so haven't bought the Qubes.