Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt >

Accuquilt

Accuquilt

Old 09-29-2017, 05:31 AM

I really only like it for difficult to cut blocks like curved pieces, and for raggy blocks.

Otherwise, I believe I'm just as fast (if not faster) and nearly as accurate cutting blocks and strips with my rotary cutter and my various rulers, and I cut with a lot less waste than the dies do. And I enjoy the rotary cutting process, I don't enjoy the die-cutting process.

But I'm still young-ish and don't yet have any issues with arthritis or bad elbows or shoulders, and that's a big consideration. I can totally see myself getting the electronic cutter someday, once my joints start to go bad.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

I honestly don't see a lot of waste that others have mentioned. Also my cutting isn't nearly as accurate. I guess that depends on the person but I don't get the waste part.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 AM

Think of it this way - if you had a piece of fabric that measured 21 inches long by WOF (let's say 42") and you want to get as many charm squares as possible out of that piece - I know that by using my ruler I can cut those 21 inches into four strips of five inches, and then I know I can get 8 squares per 42" strip. That will leave 1 inch strip of waste (total) after cutting all the long strips, and little 2-inch chunks left from sub-cutting the strips into blocks. And 32 charm squares.

It might just be me, but I am 100% certain I couldn't cut it that precisely in the Accuquilt. I have to leave some "overage" at the edges or I risk a block coming out too small, and with the piece of fabric I described there's just not enough "excess" left to get that many blocks. I might be able to get the 8 blocks across, but the 1 inch total 'fluff' room for all those strips isn't enough; I would probably only get the equivalent of three strips, so eight fewer charm squares.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:28 AM

I was sceptical of the Go before I got mine. I thought I would be wasteing a lot of fabric. I found that there is way less waste then I believed there would. I find my cuts are better with the go. I am also old....and probably lazy!!! This has improved my cuts!
Old 09-30-2017, 04:25 AM

I had the GO for the first 4 or 5 years, and then bought the GO Big and have had it for 3 or 4 years. I have never regretted making these purchases. I don't have any shoulder problems but I still decided I needed the GO Big. I have all the strip dies because I use these on almost every quilt I make - for sashings, bindings and borders. Then I love the pattern dies like the Hunter's Star or Drunkards Path. I was always afraid to try the Hunter's Star pattern because of all of the little pieces but with the pattern die it was so simple, no templates, and all the little pieces went together perfectly. I love my GO Big and if something happened to it I would buy another one immediately. It's priceless to me.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:48 AM

I have a Go and I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I make scrappy quilts and I find that it is easier to just cut the strips from individual fabrics as I go. I tend to cut some, sew some, rather than cut everything out and then sew it. I might use it more if it was set up and ready to go but that is not feasible in my sewing room.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:31 AM

Love it!

I purchased the electric one and many different dies. It also cuts everything fast! Zip-zip you are done and can start piecing your project. I like the variety of dies/projects available on the site including embroidery designs for applique.

Our local dealer has classes/projects each month which feature dies and piecing techniques. Always something fun to do!

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2017, 05:39 AM

I am a new user of the Go! crank, 10 days or so. I have been quilting since the mid-80's and have collected way too much fabric. I make scrap quilts and have been saving all the scraps from everything.

Enter the Go, I am cutting a ton of fabric scraps into usable sized shapes with Classic style dies.
I just cut enough fabric to create 36 Take 5 blocks in RWB fabrics, that took no time at all with the Go. I am donating those blocks to a church who has a quilting group. I have 2 paper grocery bags full of fabrics, some scraps and blocks to donate to the church, am working on bag number 3.
Any usable sized pieces left from cutting with the die go in a bag for another church store to sell, they fund community projects.

I found that after getting the Go! starter set, I really needed more dies to cut shapes from largest to smallest while each fabric was on my table. Getting my last 3 dies today, well the last for now until they have another good sale.

If one finds the crank a bit too hard to turn, use 1 layer less fabric and see how it turns.

LOVE my machine to clear out fabrics and organize my stash at the same time.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:28 AM

I bought one several years ago but haven't used it much - in a closet. Thinking I should unbury it because I want to make a double wedding ring - the cost of the die set would be offset by the cutting time I would save. Did make several table runners with the small tumbler die and loved the way they turned out.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:47 AM

I bought the Studio 2 a while back. I love the perfect cuts. Having the Studio has helped me get off my feet more because it speeds up the cutting. I do not find it wasteful at all. In fact, I have converted my scraps to useful precuts instead of clutter. I prefer the smaller dies (unlike quiltedsunshine). The big dies that cut multiples can be quite heavy. I now consider my cutter a necessity and would not part with it.
awf60--the Go! is on sale with $50 off today. The sale will be over at midnight.