Micro bowl holder

Old 10-07-2017, 03:16 AM

Default Micro bowl holder

This may not be news, but it was to me.
I was at a local Dollar Tree store yesterday and while in checkout lane I see a display of "cozy bowl holders". These are made by Campbell soup, each packaged with a label that recommends these be put in micro for no more than 2 minutes! Wonder how long it will be before someone has a micro fire and sues. I may go back and buy one--- not to use, just to see what it's made of.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Having just ruined a microwave for putting something unknown in it (my husband did it!) I'm leery of anything like that!
Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 AM

I really think that these bowl holders should be only used after the bowl comes out of the microwave....
Old 10-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Last month at a guild meeting one of our members showed one of these bowls she had made. She was very careful to use cotton everything - except she forgot about the thread and used a cotton/poly blend. Luckily nothing bad happened but she showed the bowl and you could see easily the corners where she used the poly cotton thread - they were burned. I wouldn’t trust one of those Campbell bowls even for hi,sing a hot bowl of soup as I am sure that fhe batting is poly and that doesn’t even work in pot holders. Poly batting is not heat resistant abs thistle is why purchased holders doesn’t really work, no matter how cheap or expensive they may be.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 10-08-2017, 04:08 AM

I have friends that love their bowls and I plan to make one. It is important that the fabric, batting, and the thread all must be 100% cotton. You can purchase batting specifically for microwave use. Mine was for making baked potato bags.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:58 AM

Several of us make these bowls and have sold them for years. We use 100% cotton for the fabric, thread and the batting (be very careful with the batting!). We put a note on them saying not to use for more than three minutes. My kids all have them and they abuse them (as most kids do!) and have not had any problems. My kids also love them for their ice cream bowls when sitting in front of the tv. I have also seen the campbell ones in the dollar store and reading the labels very carefully - I would not buy them.

Last edited by klswift; 10-08-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: adding comment
Old 10-09-2017, 03:54 AM

Default Me, too, but. . .

Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Several of us make these bowls and have sold them for years. We use 100% cotton for the fabric, thread and the batting (be very careful with the batting!). We put a note on them saying not to use for more than three minutes. My kids all have them and they abuse them (as most kids do!) and have not had any problems. My kids also love them for their ice cream bowls when sitting in front of the tv. I have also seen the campbell ones in the dollar store and reading the labels very carefully - I would not buy them.
I have made many of these for my regular bowls and use them for both hot and cold. I have never been tempted to put the holder (I call them huggies) in the microwave, and do not understand why you would need to. I carefully put the hot bowl in the huggy and off I go. Yes, I can see that thread would probably be my downfall.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:40 AM

A big thing to remember...Warm and Natural is NOT 100% cotton...some folks get confused about that.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

It's so easy to put the batting and some of the thread in the microwave and zap for up to 3 minutes and see what happens before you sew. I had 100% natural cotton no scrim burn black in less then a minute. I always test the thread and batting first before using. The wattage of the microwave makes a big difference. Also a the dish used. If you dish gets to hot to touch in time for the food to warm, then it is not meant for the microwave.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:38 AM

I'm glad I read this thread. I was about to make some of these bowls for a church bazaar. I knew not to use the thermal batting used for potholders, but I didn't think about everything being 100% cotton.