Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair Bernina or buy something else? >

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by sJens View Post
I must be the only one that would get it repaired. I have 2 a 200EQ and a 450EQ have never had a problem with either one and they are 12 years old. I think the Bernina is made to last.
You're not the only one. I've had 2 Berninas and, as I stated, not a problem with either one, but would definitely pay to repair them.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by susiecute View Post
I had a bernina 1230 - lasted 27 years until this past spring the circuit board went up. the bernina repairman said he MIGHT be able to get a new board - but it would also go up until they isolated the reason it didn't work - he felt it would be too much money for an old machine. i decided to do without and bought a couple of cheapies at local garage sales. they were cheap and not my bernina. i ended up getting another bernina - 530 i think it is. love it. i sewed thousands of dollars worth of doll clothes on that bernina every year i had it. i bought another. they are expensive - but in my experience - well worth it.
My 1230 is still going strong.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:12 AM

Can you take it to the shop and try using it with a different foot pedal?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by susiecute View Post
I had a bernina 1230 - lasted 27 years until this past spring the circuit board went up. the bernina repairman said he MIGHT be able to get a new board - but it would also go up until they isolated the reason it didn't work - he felt it would be too much money for an old machine. i decided to do without and bought a couple of cheapies at local garage sales. they were cheap and not my bernina. i ended up getting another bernina - 530 i think it is. love it. i sewed thousands of dollars worth of doll clothes on that bernina every year i had it. i bought another. they are expensive - but in my experience - well worth it.
I agree with that. I've sewn on some of the cheaper machines at classes or demos. They were okay but not my Bernina. If mine couldn't be fixed, I'd be looking either for a new one or a refurbished older one. I love my Bernina.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 10-12-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Annette,

What's your experience with the 180E's and boards? I have one that refused to power on several years ago - just a little backlight on the LCD screen but otherwise nothing. It was a low-hour machine (I'm the original owner) and hadn't been used in a few years. The local dealer said $1000 minimum to repair and they'd have to send my machine's actual board(s) themselves to be repaired and only 1 year warranty once done so I opted for a different brand replacement at the time.

Thanks,

Michelle
I had a Bernina 170, bought it used and had to replace the motherboard when I got it....I used it around 48 hours on the new board and it went out on me again...The repair man said he couldn't get a replacement part for it. I love that machine, but after the newer board went out I switched brands.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I've had my Bernina 153 QE for 16 years and it runs like the day I bought it.
I hope you can resolve it. Berninas are made to last.
Me, too! Well, 15 years... When the new machines come out, I ogle them a bit, but I really don't need one at all! Love my 153 QE, don't need or want embroidery, so I stick with what I've got.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM

As expensive as the Berninas are, I would expect them to last much longer than 9 years. I have a Bernina 440 that is nearly 14 years old = never had a problem and I saw ALL the time.
Old 10-13-2017, 04:18 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
I haven't seen a 180e with a bad circuit board, in the 8 years I've been servicing machines. But it does happen if the machine isn't used regularly. I've had a couple machines that will power up if left on for 24 hours.
Thanks Annette - I will try that with mine. If something like that helps, it could indicate there's an on-board battery (possibly for the bios) that has gone dead (in a former life I was an electrical engineer in the computer industry). Back when the machine died I scoured the web for info and mine was not an isolated case of that model having a circuit board failure.

Michelle
Old 10-14-2017, 12:55 PM
LRM

Thanks everyone for the answers and discussion! My Bernina is at the shop now - expecting a call next week about what the issue is. Hoping it's just the foot pedal!
Old 10-15-2017, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

LRM- let us know. I hope you can save your Bernina!!!