Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Repair Bernina or buy something else? >

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Old 10-10-2017, 05:10 PM
LRM

Default Repair Bernina or buy something else?

Hello all! I've been lurking around here for awhile but this is my first post. I'm hoping you can help me.

My 9 year old Bernina Activa 230 is acting up. Just paid $200 for a new "power board" (because it would not turn on) and not a week later it started acting up. I thought it might be the foot pedal this time, but tried my Mom's pedal (same model) and the same thing is happening. It will only sew slowly and if I depress the foot pedal further it stops. When it stops it comes out of needle down or any needle position or setting and reverts to default. I'm afraid it's the circuit board, but don't know yet.

Should I put more $$ into this machine or put the money toward a new machine (not a Bernina.)? I have really loved this machine - is 9 years about all I can expect?

I also have a vintage machine - a class 15 clone - all metal straight stitch. It's roomier than my Activa so may try it for quilting. It needs a new belt and some feet but it works. Thinking of buying a Brother/Juki etc for about $500 or less to get free arm/zig zag decorative stitches for applique etc, etc.

What do you think?? Repair the Bernina or buy something else? A pricier Bernina is not an option. Thanks!
Old 10-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

My older activa was going slow but it was the foot pedal. Would I pour more money after the $200 you already spent...not without some reassurance from the repairman that it would stay fixed. I might see if they would give me a decent price for it on a trade in to see if I could afford another.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:56 PM

Did you buy it new 9 years ago? And have you used it a lot in the past 9 years? It doesn't seem like very long , but if you've put it to hard use, then maybe the internal components are fried. I don't know, but my SMG guy said that the electronic parts aren't worth the cost of repair in most cases. He told me most electronic parts start going bad around 10 years.

If it were me, and I'd gotten a lot of joy and use out of it, I'd feel I'd gotten my money's worth. I have a 15-91 that I don't use (it works great and is a dream for FMQ) but my Janome 8200 does everything I want it to do and more.

Personally I like the modern technology and I like the 11" throat for bigger quilts. But you won't find that in the $500 price range. So I'd suggest you make a list of all your must-haves, then "would like to have"s, then figure out if you can wait till you have the money for a nice machine (that's not Bernina but less expensive with the same capabilities).

THanks for posting. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:58 PM

I would look at the Eversewn Sparrow machines. I hear a lot of good things about them, they are reasonably priced, and they are supposed to be an arm of Bernina.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM

I have a Bernina Artista 180 that I've had for 20 years with only a couple minor problems. Since this problem started after you had it repaired before, I'd take it back and tell them that.

BTW, you are using a Bernina Tech from a Bernina dealer for your repairs, aren't you?
Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM
LRM

Thanks everyone for the replies so far!
I would say it has had a fair amount of use - not heavy use. I will tell them this started after the first repair and yes I take it to the Bernina dealer where I bought it for repair/service. I guess I'll have to see what they say and what the repair cost would be. Maybe once all the electronics are replaced it will be good for another 10 years??
Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 PM

There's two circuit boards on your Bernina. The L-print is the power board. The S-print is the brains. Sounds like they probably should have replaced the S-print. Those are a lot more expensive, and they probably wanted to try the less expensive route first. The S-print is $273 retail just for the part. There's a 5 year warranty on the circuit boards. The updated parts do have a better life than the ones they put in 9 years ago.

We're seeing a lot of 230s with power board failures. The common occurrence is that they all have been turned off for a long time -- 6 months to 3 years without being sewn on.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by LRM View Post
Hello all! I've been lurking around here for awhile but this is my first post. I'm hoping you can help me.

My 9 year old Bernina Activa 230 is acting up. Just paid $200 for a new "power board" (because it would not turn on) and not a week later it started acting up. I thought it might be the foot pedal this time, but tried my Mom's pedal (same model) and the same thing is happening. It will only sew slowly and if I depress the foot pedal further it stops. When it stops it comes out of needle down or any needle position or setting and reverts to default. I'm afraid it's the circuit board, but don't know yet.

Should I put more $$ into this machine or put the money toward a new machine (not a Bernina.)? I have really loved this machine - is 9 years about all I can expect?

I also have a vintage machine - a class 15 clone - all metal straight stitch. It's roomier than my Activa so may try it for quilting. It needs a new belt and some feet but it works. Thinking of buying a Brother/Juki etc for about $500 or less to get free arm/zig zag decorative stitches for applique etc, etc.

What do you think?? Repair the Bernina or buy something else? A pricier Bernina is not an option. Thanks!
I had a bernina 1230 - lasted 27 years until this past spring the circuit board went up. the bernina repairman said he MIGHT be able to get a new board - but it would also go up until they isolated the reason it didn't work - he felt it would be too much money for an old machine. i decided to do without and bought a couple of cheapies at local garage sales. they were cheap and not my bernina. i ended up getting another bernina - 530 i think it is. love it. i sewed thousands of dollars worth of doll clothes on that bernina every year i had it. i bought another. they are expensive - but in my experience - well worth it.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by susiecute View Post
I had a bernina 1230 - lasted 27 years until this past spring the circuit board went up. the bernina repairman said he MIGHT be able to get a new board - but it would also go up until they isolated the reason it didn't work - he felt it would be too much money for an old machine. i decided to do without and bought a couple of cheapies at local garage sales. they were cheap and not my bernina. i ended up getting another bernina - 530 i think it is. love it. i sewed thousands of dollars worth of doll clothes on that bernina every year i had it. i bought another. they are expensive - but in my experience - well worth it.
I agree with that. I've had a 1630 and an Artista 180 (current machine). Both were great machines. Other than decorative stitches, they didn't do a lot that my other machines didn't but they made it so much easier to do.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:49 AM

how long of a warranty is on the power board maybe you got a bad one I would check it out it certainly should be longer than a week.