Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
My expectations about swaps  - >

My expectations about swaps -

My expectations about swaps -

Old 10-22-2017, 11:16 AM

I have done swaps over the years. The most interesting one was in my quilt guild where I had to supply a 10" square of one fabric for each participant. The result was to be a 12" block using the starting fabric (the swap rules). The results were interesting -- the print I chose had a lot of colors and of course everyone chose their coordinating fabrics (which is what I wanted), but the resulting blocks were interesting -- not only different blocks but the size ranged from 6" to 18" with everyone having a fascinating reason for the non-12" size. Fortunately, I was not bound to make a single quilt, so I sorted the blocks to the closest size, added enough sashing so they were all the same size, added a few blocks of my own and got 2 table runners and a lap quilt. They turned out very nice and were a matching set but not identical. Turned out to be a lot of fun figuring out how to use the blocks. What was even more fun was that everyone participating in the swap had to contribute at least one block to the charity quilts we make. When enough blocks were gathered we had a sew day to assemble them (and we all got to pick which blocks we put together). Most of the blocks were orphans from quilts or classes and they were fun to see and assemble, too.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

I've done many swaps over the years and if you don't read the guidelines, you simply get your own blocks back.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Power Poster

I did a swap once of placemats. I made what I thought were really pretty ones with apple fabric. I barely got a thank you from the other party. Guess I will keep my own placemats.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:28 AM

I feel I need to apologize to who ever it was. I was in a swap and I received the package, but did not acknowledge that I had received it. Ooooppss! I got a real dressing down.

Perhaps I am banned now, I do not know. I was a newbie and did not know how to use this board, find a PM address and just now discovering that I can click "Whats New" and get a days jump on what every one else is talking about.

Still shaking head......
Old 10-23-2017, 02:34 AM

I did one swap Secret Pal Swap on this board, my package was received, but not acknowledged. The following month my entire package was acknowledged as a package sent by my recipient to her new monthly partner. That was my last swap Secret Pal Swap on this board.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:53 AM

Shame to hear some of you al having such bad experiences. I'm sorry that it has turned you off the swaps.

I join in the swaps more for the social and sharing aspect and experience than for what I myself get in the end. (It's true, I never knew there where so many differnt 9 1/2" sizes!) But everyone's cutting mat may be differnt. I know my cutting mat doesn't even line up with my ruler, and I got them as a set!

I love sharing my work and chatting with the group. And looking forward to the mail is the most exciting!

Last edited by NZquilter; 10-23-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:07 AM

I have done a couple of block swaps. I really enjoyed them. I received some really interesting blocks that I never would have done myself. I find that I am too picky about the fabrics I like for swaps. Swaps just aren't for some people. I do love the fabric swaps and have participated in several. It is a wonderful way to get a huge variety of fabrics.
Thanks to everyone who run the swaps.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:30 AM

My experience has been, in some cases, that the sender used such thin, flimsy fabric that the block was useless.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
My experience has been, in some cases, that the sender used such thin, flimsy fabric that the block was useless.
Yeah, that's a concern of mine. I'm snobbish about fabric lol
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Power Poster

With all these negatives, let me give a shout out to the Boomerang Swaps here on the board. They are block swaps. JaniceMcC runs them so well that everyone ends up happy. She 'reminds' us many times Not to send in our blocks until we measure and get that perfect 12.5" square. Sometimes you have to adjust seams to get them there. But having a good leader who will hold you accountable to the standards of the swap really makes a difference.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-27-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS