Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Subversive quilting >

Subversive quilting

Subversive quilting

Old 11-04-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Subversive quilting

I read a mystery novel where a woman wrote curses with the quilting stitches in some quilts she wrote. And I watched videos of people using long arm machines, and it was like they were just writing with them, all fluid and easy. I spent the day with a friend of mine who works in a phone bank as a bill collector. She told me their new productivity technique is to tell the workers, "No talking. Face forward and dial." Whaaaattt? Seriously? After we'd joked about it for a few hours, all those quilting ideas came together into my subversive quilt idea. I'm gonna make her a shirt, and the quilting is going to say Face Forward and Dial. Now I have to decide: many small lines of type, like stippling, or big fancy scrolly letters... Decisions, decisions. A subversive's work is never done.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:46 PM

I like your thinking!! The closest to that for me was on a modern quilt I made that had large graffiti prints in it. My long armer is very creative and embedded in the shattered glass pattern quilting she stitched in my name and the year in the quilt. I loved it!
Old 11-05-2017, 02:19 AM

I saw a small quilt in Quilting Arts magazine a few months ago with a background of words - it may have been a quote - with an applique on top. It was very effective.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:06 AM

I once made a red, white, and blue lap quilt for a daughter's friend, and the longarm quilting I did was the Declaration of Independence, as much as fit on the quilt. I loved it. I first made a pantograph pattern of it, so the letters were uniform sized and nicely spaced. The letters were pretty big, maybe two inches tall for the minor case letters if I remember right. I did it in cursive, so it was "continuous"; in between words I just stitched a baseline. Each line on the pantograph pattern was the width of the lap quilt I made.

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 11-05-2017 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:40 AM

Lettering is fun to do on the l/a......but it's cursive and since the schools are no longer teaching
cursive, these Quilts will definitely be masterpieces to the upcoming generations!
Old 11-05-2017, 07:19 AM

When my very allergic to cats DH was around 12 years old, he got into a fight with his sister and his sister brought a cat into the house and left it in his room. That night, he had an allergy attack that almost cost him his life. Since then, he stays away from cats, says he does not like them and seems to have an antipathy towards them. I love cats. I think they are beautiful and useful members of our planet. Since I cannot have a cat, I put them secretly into my quilts. Almost every single quilt I have made has some cat design fabric in it. Some is obvious and some not so obvious. He does not know it but every night he is cuddled by a quilt with a cat on it. My secret.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Iraxy, you're my kinda girl. One of these days I plan to make a quilt for our bed out of the Contrary Wife block. That'll be my secret, too.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:51 AM

Iraxy and Justabitcrazy, you guys are too funny. My Gma had a cook book called "Secrets of a Sneaky Cook" ............... and it was nearly worn out!!!! lol lol lol
Old 11-05-2017, 07:57 AM

My chuckle for the am!
Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Do you remember the name of that book? I read one where the man married another woman instead of the one that loved him. She made a wedding quilt and put all manner of bad things in it. The marriage was cursed and ended. I wanted to re read it but can't remember the name of it. I remember thinking at the time I should make a few cursed quilts for some I know. LOL