Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Confetti and/or collage quilts >

Confetti and/or collage quilts

Confetti and/or collage quilts

Old 11-06-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Confetti quilts are small snipers of fabric fused to a background to make a picture. Collage quilts are when bigger pieces or elements are fussy cut from fabric and then assembled to make an object. There have been done really nice collage pieces posted on QB.
Thanks, Tartan. That's what I thought.

Don't forget Danny Amazonas that Jan posted a youtube of a while back. I saw his work and got to meet him at Quilt Festival. He's a collage genius!
Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 AM
mac

I have never heard of Danny Amazonas, so I looked him up. All I can say is, "Wow! He is amazing." Now that puts a different spin on confetti quilts. Some people are just talented with anything they touch.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:13 AM

I saw a lot of his work when I googled collage quilts but didn't realize who the artist was until now.
Patrice S......thanks for posting about him.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by anne2016 View Post
I saw a lot of his work when I googled collage quilts but didn't realize who the artist was until now.
Patrice S......thanks for posting about him.
You're welcome. If you ever get a chance to see his work in person, do it! I spent a lot of time at his quilts. They are incredible!

Here's a link to a thread on QB where Jan posted a link to a youtube of him

Color, color, color! Phenomenal quilts!!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:15 PM

Thanks Patrice. His work is incredible. It always amazes me to see how talented some people are. I could never be even close to his level if I practiced for a whole lifetime. I think you have to be born with that kind of talent. Lots of practice too but it has to be in your genes.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 PM

Danny Amazonas! This is amazing. Rosemary is an artistic pioneer. Her last class at Empty Spools was fantastic. Her book is facinating. Deborah's collage is great too. All have their own style.

Another artist is Noriko Endo and her book Confetti Naturescapes; Quilting Impressionist Landsapes gives a good outline of her methods.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Do a google search on Laura Heine collage is her speciaity she has a book plus several patterns and teaches in Houston and Paducah every year she has a shop in Billings Mt. I cannot remember the name but I know you can find her on google
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM

Susan Carlson also does great collage quilts. You can find her method on her website www.susancarlson.com. I have been fortunate to take a class with her and she does amazing work. You might have seen her salt water crocodile: Crocodylus Smylus aka Stevie. Here is a time lapse of the quilt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtTUOM8POoQ
Old 11-08-2017, 05:40 AM

I've made several "Confetti" quilts after I saw a pattern for one in a quilt store.
I start with trash fabric strips as long as I would like the quilt. They can be different widths and easily pieced together. I just overlapped the pieces and made one sew across. Mine were 2 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches wide. The well worn pieces of an old bed sheet work well.
I placed a scrap of fabric at the top of a strip, laid another scrap RST on that and sewed a straight seam holding those two together. Then the second piece gets folded down and scrap number three is placed RST on that and sewn. The seams are made according to the shape of the pieces, straight or slanted on the bias. It doesn't matter. I started four or five strips at the same time so I could chain sew from one strip onto the next. When you have enough strips to make the quilt as wide as you like, sew them all together. My daughter loves hers.

Last edited by maviskw; 11-08-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:41 AM

Lots of great information. Thank you.