Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting question >

quilting question

quilting question

Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Default quilting question

If I do the quilting on longarm is there extra charge for the batting
Old 11-14-2017, 10:00 AM

Not sure what you are asking. It depends on the quilter. I always charge extra for batting, and highly recommend that customers bring their own rather than buying from me. It makes my tax situation much easier not to have to deal with retail sales of batting. So, if you are asking because you are going into business, it's up to you. Decide what works best, and make sure your price is appropriate to cover costs, if you decide to include batting. If you are asking because you are sending a quilt out, you have to ask your quilter.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Your question is a bit confusing.

Are you asking if you rent time on a longarm and do the quilting the rental fee is only for the amount of time you are using the longarm. You must provide all materials.

If you are asking about having your quilt longarmed by a professional many do not include batting in their rates. But some do. You really need to contact the longarm quilter to see if batting is included. For those that do not include the batting, some people send the batting with the quilt top, others will pay to use the batting the longarmer has available for sale. For my longarming I offer to sell batting, I carry 3 different types but I often can not compete with the price of larger retail operations (like connecting threads, etc) I do not include it as part of the per s/i price for longarm quilting

For those that do include the batting in the price of quilting you need to ensure it is the type of batting you want to be used. Many only offer one type that is included and it may not be the kind of batting you want. In those cases I am sure you can provide your own batting or pay extra to upgrade to the kind you want.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-14-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I send quilts to Missouri Star at times and they don't charge for batting.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 PM

your quilter is charging for the bat one way or another--either in the price per square inch/yard or design or as a seperate fee on top of the quilting charge. Batting, even when bought on the roll, is not cheap. Some LAQ require that you use their bat and may work that into the price for quilting--but yes, you are paying for the bat.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

Some of my customers bring batting with their quilt top & backing, some prefer to purchase the batting I have available. Many longarm quilters have batting available to purchase, some do not and tell you to bring the batting you prefer. Either way you pay for your batting.