Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Deciding if I should buy a serger. >

Deciding if I should buy a serger.

Deciding if I should buy a serger.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:20 PM

Default Deciding if I should buy a serger.

I am trying to decide if I should buy a serger. I have been sewing for about 5 yrs. I love it. I make quilts (mostly donation quilts, almost 100 so far), table runners, & placemats. I have recently made a few garments and loved using the serger at my LQS. I don't see myself making a lot of clothing (unless I become a Gma), but I find myself wanting a serger. I appreciate your input. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

I like mine -

Are they essential? Probably not - but not many things are.

I was making quilted bags for a while - I overcast all the raw edges at each stage. I think the bags turned out nicer than when the edges were left raw.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:44 PM

I have one but haven't used it much...yet. I bought it used and it is a bit intimidating but I am taking a class at my LQS the end of this month to learn all about it. Anyway, I do a fair amount of garment sewing so it will come in handy there, but I watched a youtube video for making a quilt w/the serger that looked really simple so I hope to find more uses for it than just garments. I use to have a Singer Tiny Serger and I loved it!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

A serger is a must if you make clothing. If you are only quilting, you won't need it.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
A serger is a must if you make clothing. If you are only quilting, you won't need it.
I agree. I have a serger that I've had for years. I don't use it a lot, but when I do need it, I"m glad I have it. I use mine for garments, bags and some crafty type things. I guess it depends on how much "other than quilting" sewing you intend to do. I do quite a few quilted and wearable art garments so for me it's an essential.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 PM

I just decided on getting one as well-finally realized the value in using one as opposed to a work around
I’m sewing fun garments for my baby gd
Researched them and decided on a Pfaff hobbylock 4752
Old 11-21-2017, 11:51 PM

I love mine. Haven't used much but don't regret the purchase. Brother makes a popular one that is very affordable
Old 11-22-2017, 02:25 AM

I always thought I didn't need/want a serger but love it now. There are numerous techniques (ruffles, belt loops, wave stitch) and projects for the serger. I have the O*vation which air threads the machine. It doesn't matter the order of threading. The new T*riumph machine will even thread the needles for you.

http://babylock.com/sergers/understanding-sergers.asp

Good luck on your decision!
Old 11-22-2017, 03:45 AM

I was on the fence about a serger as well. I decided to go the used route and am very happy with my decision. An older model to be sure. But paid very little and spent the saved $$ on a professional tune up and a class and still came out ahead. Not sure that I've even used it since class but glad I have it nonetheless.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I went through the dilemma of serger buying several years ago. I almost convinced myself that I needed one, but when I priced them I backed out and haven't been sorry. It turns out that the ones that are do more and are easier to use are pretty expensive. I don't sew clothing anymore, and I'm glad I didn't have to learn how to use another machine, or find space for it.