Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I would like to find a simple serger >

I would like to find a simple serger

I would like to find a simple serger

Old 12-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Default I would like to find a simple serger

My ASG group shows how wonderful sergers are to finish edges, but I know I will not learn anything too complicated. How can I identify a "simple" serger that will do just the one thing well?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:39 PM

Just like sewing machines, find an old one, old BabyLok sergers were/are workhorses, mine probably has a million miles on it, has been serviced once, simply because I thought it deserved it. I don't use it much now, but I'm not getting rid of it.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Sergers are complicated -- more complicated than sewing machines. What types of edges are you wanting to finish?

How good are your eyes and eye-hand coordination? You typically have to thread 1 upper thread and 2 loopers, and the loopers can be tricky. If you don't want to have to deal with threading, then you need to buy an air-threading serger such as the Babylock Imagine.

The only "simple" serger I know of is the coverstitch serger, which creates hems like those on the bottom of t-shirts. But I don't think a coverstitch serger would be able to do rolled hems (like on napkins) or simply seam garments together (which creates a seam with covered edges). To do those, you need a regular serger. You can leave a regular serger set up to do rolled edges, but even then you would probably want to know how to re-thread it if a thread breaks.

Last edited by Prism99; 12-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

All together, I've accumulated six sergers - I think the "newest" one is a Husqvarna Huskylock 905.

If there is a lever to help with threading the upper (I think) looper - it makes the threading much easier.

My very old BabyLock and Pfaff Hobbylock do not have that - and those two are - at times - very c-h-a-l-l-e-n-g-i-n-g to thread. A tip that has helped a lot. - I put fray check on the end of the thread to stiffen it up a bit - and that helps quite a bit with the threading.

I paid less than $50 each for three of them.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:38 AM

I thank you all for this input -- I suspect what I need (for my limited patience and brainpower) is a higher end machine that does way more than I need, but helps me more to do it. Make sense? I just don't want to pay what it's worth.

All I think I want to do is finish raw edges, on clothing or crafting items. Long ago I was content with zig zag, but on knits that is ugly, and not really a solution.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 AM

I have a Janome serger that I bought at least 20 years ago and it is still going strong. It is a 4 thread (2 needles and 2 loopers) and I bought the extra long needle threader to use to thread one of the loopers. I paid $250.00 for it. I always found it user friendly.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I got mine about 10 years ago from hancock for $179. Still working like a horse!
Old 12-11-2017, 05:37 AM

After doing a whole lot of comparison shopping and research, I have decided to go with a Brother 1034D -- lower end, but we have an authorized repair shop near here. I decided to buy it from Walmart, after reading horror stories about trying to get service or replacement, thru Brother or thru Amazon. I know Walmart will honor a return, plus they offer a 4-yr service plan, which the maker does not. I hate how mom and pop stores are gone because of Walmart, but you just can't beat the prices and service!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 AM

A Singer serger was with a Bernina and Koala sewing table I bought, used, 4 years ago. It sat for too long because I thought the threading was too complicated. The threading sequence is color-coded and printed on the machine. It's part of the machine and every step is indicated on the threading area. I also printed the manual from the internet. Between those two things I find the threading can be done without tears! Threading is not complicated. It just needs to be done correctly and in the correct sequence. Take your time, follow the instructions. You'll be fine.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:59 AM

Lee, that's the serger I was going to recommend. I've had many sergers over the years and the Brother 1034D is my favorite, hands down. Easy to use and no stitch problems whatsoever. In fact, I loved it so much I also bought the Brother Cover Stitch machine, the 2340CV. Good luck with your new serger!

Almost forgot... here's a picture of my two "girls" together.
Attached Thumbnails sergers.jpg  

Last edited by DonnaC; 12-11-2017 at 09:04 AM.