Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about Pfaff >

Question about Pfaff

Question about Pfaff

Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 AM

Default Question about Pfaff

Help!
I'm in the midst of sewing the Ringo mystery and my machine keeps turning off...
It says the motor is overheating...
then it shuts down...

I think it is dying...

I am so upset...

Help...

Kirsten
Old 12-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

My Viking was doing the same thing. I took it in and it needed a good cleaning in the sealed areas. Problem solved. Hope yours will be an easy fix too.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:38 PM

Yes, sounds like it's time to visit the sewing machine doctor. Hope the prognosis is good.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=ScubaK;7965947]Help!
I'm in the midst of sewing the Ringo mystery and my machine keeps turning off...
then it shuts down...

Kirsten, you did not say what model Pfaff you have. I have a Pfaff 1472 that began telling me the battery needed to be replaced. I did not know it had a battery until then. When driving home from a quilters meeting, I had it sitting on the floor behind the front seat and it flipped over while I was making a tight left turn, obviously too fast. I took the machine in to Billie's Fine Fabrics in Chehalis, WA, where Billie's husband is well known for his expertise in working on all brands of sewing machines. Before I exited the shop, he had it ready to go back to me. He insisted there was nothing wrong with it, but I suspect a loose battery, fuse, or whatever that part was. That was more than 5 years ago, and I have not had any more problems with it.
I have a good supply of sewing machines that need no more complicated repair than what can be done with oil and Qtips, but every once in a while, want a few of the bells and whistles, like stitching my name for a nametag. If you have only one machine, it is sure to go kaput in the midst of a deadline. Always have a backup machine.

Perhaps Cari in Olympia can steer you to a repairman in your S. Puget Sound area.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:20 PM

About 18 months ago I bought a supposedly new in a box Pfaff 4.2 from local quilt shop which has since closed. It is my second Pfaff. I thought it made an odd clunking sound while doing FMQ but when I took it to a class the people there thought it needed servicing, plus it was skipping stitches. When I took it in for service the technician said that it was so full of thread pieces and lint that the motor was over heating, although I did not a message from the machine. Since I try to clean out my bobbin area with each bobbin change, I was a little surprised to hear this. It was better for a while but now is back to acting up with FMQ. Anyway, my point was, maybe your machine just needs to be taken in for a good cleaning. I feel there are many places in a Pfaff that can't be cleaned at home.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:44 PM

Update!!!

I just had this serviced earlier this year.

I looked at a couple of machines and became overwhelmed because even though the Pfaff Creative Vision 5.5 has it's quirks, it is still a great machine to me.

So, the husband and I came home and decided to try and find latest update...and after a couple of tries to update...it seems to be doing ok.

I have left it on for the last couple of hours and have continued to sew my units.

Hopefully this will help.

I will look into a repair/service at the Pfaff Store in Olympia after they open the interstate.

The train derailment was/has been awful for everyone involved.

Kirsten
Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 AM

The same thing happened to me and my Pfaff CS not too long ago. I was really puzzled. At first it started just giving me the message about my machine needing to rest, and then when it would come back on it was sewing real slow. Turns out I had a spool of thread that had somehow got wrapped around the hand wheel. It was a horrid mess and it probably took me an hour to get it all cleaned out of there, but it is working fine now. Hope yours is an easy fix.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:58 AM

Question: I have a Pfaff, which I love, but recently was told by a technician (not Pfaff technician) that it will probably die in another year. It's a 7250. I would love one of the newer Pfaffs but there is only ONE Pfaff dealer in the tri-state area where I live and they are getting on in years. I googled the nearest one to me and there is not one in over 300 miles!! So, I'm thinking Pfaff is not a good idea if one needed servicing. Any ideas?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:20 AM

Agreed, time for a service tech visit. Per my Pfaff tech; The mother boards are good for 10-15 yrs. My 2044 is 14 yrs. old and is still working just fine, It's my sewing machine separation anxiety that's high alert.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post

then it shuts down...
Make sure the vents aren't blocked either by some object or just by accumulated dust and lint.

Sorry to hear you're having problems!