Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Scrubbing potatoes >

Scrubbing potatoes

Scrubbing potatoes

Old 01-03-2018, 04:57 AM

Default Scrubbing potatoes

I have the hardest time getting my potatoes skins super clean so we can eat them. I have used a vegetable Bruch and even a more stiffer bristled Bruch and even a green scrubbing pad. And I have even soaked them before scrubbing them but still can't get all the black dirt stuff off completely. So just wondering how every one else does it?
Old 01-03-2018, 05:24 AM

can use nylon scrubbies.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM

For baked potatoes I peel them, boil whole potato for about 12 minutes...put in oven on either oven rack or pan with parchment paper. Bake for 1/2 hour, turn, bake another 1/2 hour. If you put on rack I find it not necessary to turn. No oil used. Bake at 425. I always had a issue with cleaning peels.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grandmahoney View Post
I have the hardest time getting my potatoes skins super clean so we can eat them. I have used a vegetable Bruch and even a more stiffer bristled Bruch and even a green scrubbing pad. And I have even soaked them before scrubbing them but still can't get all the black dirt stuff off completely. So just wondering how every one else does it?
Sometimes you just have to give in and peel the potatoes!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:40 PM

I use warm water and a dish cleaning brush to clean mine. If I have small spots of dirt that won't come off, I cut it off/out. I find the warm water softens the dirt up better than cold.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:46 PM

Before we had a microwave I used to boil the potatoes for 15 minutes before baking them. (Didn't ever peel them since I love the crispy skins.) My mom told me about the process after having trouble getting them soft enough to eat by baking them. Ever so often I still do it if I am baking something in the over for over an hour.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:59 PM

I have a 'vegetable' brush that I got from Williams Sonoma years ago. It's rather stiff bristled. I scrub the worst of the dirt with warm water and cook as desired. Baked; sliced/diced for home fries; cut up for mashed w/peels. Doesn't matter; don't worry about whatever dirt/spots may be left behind. If there is a dark spot within the potato as I'm cutting, I'll toss that but otherwise I don't worry about it. Have been doing this for decades and no worse for wear.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 AM
mem

The best thing I've found is a scrubbie made of nylon net crocheted into a doughnut shape.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:55 AM

Ahhhh, a good baked potato. Some potatoes have a blemish that doesn't wash off---don't fuss about it, just wash the potato under cool water with a vegetable brush. You do not have to "sterilized it". Bake the potato in a 400 degree oven for 50-60 minutes. When you take it out lay it in a folded dish towel , sprinkle a small amount of water on the skin and wrap the dish towel around it. (to cause a little steam and soften the skin). In 3-5 minutes gentle roll the potato ,still in the dishtowel, a bit. (this loosens the flesh of the potato, and makes it fluffy). When you cut the slit in the potato to open it, it should be light and fluffy. Love a good baked potato with juicy meatloaf---and they can be baked together in the oven at the same time. Learned this potato stuff in Idaho!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I rinse under running water to remove the obvious. I figure a 450 degree oven for 30 minutes will take care of most all dirt germs. I grew up on garden dirt. Every vegetable we ate we grew. I buy Idaho potatoes if I can't get potatoes locally grown.