Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brownies

Power Poster

Brownies

This is sort of a survey -

Do you have a favorite brownie recipe or mix?

Milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

Do you like them frosted, plain, or powdered sugared?

With or without nuts added?

If nuts added, walnuts or pecans? or some other kind?

Do you add anything else to your brownies - like coconut or maraschino cherries?

I use a recipe on the back of "Saco premium baking cocoa".
    We like them plain (tried frosting them once, made my teeth itch...lol)
    Always with walnuts, tried cashews and almonds. It just wasn't the same.

The favorite around here is the non-cake variety of brownies.
    Last edited by Chasing Hawk; 12-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)

Oh I love brownies!!!!!!! I want one now!!!
    Okay, I love the mix- I think it's Duncan Hines. It's been a long time since I made brownies. I don't like nuts but my husband loves them with walnuts.
    No toppings for us.
    I really want one, darn it!

Ever since the Ghirardelli brownie mix went on BOGO at the grocery store I have not tried anything else. BOGO or not, it's their triple fudge mix for me.

Power Poster
    ​I make mine with cocoa and no icing or nuts.

Homemade with either cocoa or baking chocolate. Walnuts, no frosting.

Ghirardelli is the best!
    I prefer a brownie plain with nuts--pecans preferred slightly over walnuts.
    I also love zebra brownies ("striped" with cream cheese") .

Blog Entries
    Homemade from scratch.

Dark Cocoa. I do not know what a milk chocolate brownie would be.

No nuts.

Fudgy not cakey.

Mostly no icing, but if a special occasion peanut butter melted with chocolate on top.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

That Ghirardelli one is decadent.
    I do have a good recipe that I use at work, because we are a peanut free facility and I can 't use mixes, but at home I just use that one.

I usually add mini chocolate chips, no nuts, no icing.

Watson

From scratch, a recipe I got out of the newspaper years ago. Dark cocoa, recipe is for plain but I put buttercream on it.

Brownie mix with a container of coconut pecan frosting swirled through it...yummy

I decided mixes taste better than any homemade ones I have tried. And probably cheaper too, when you get them on sale. Brownies are my one indulgence. I volunteer at a food shelf with a lot of sweets and am not tempted by cakes, pies, cupcakes, cookies and most other desserts. Even most of the brownies I have tried there are not as good as what I make. The Two-bite brownies are pretty good though.

From scratch
    Carmel Brownies (carmel in center)
    Milk Chocolate
    Powdered Sugar
    Pecans added
    Nothing additional

Dh was a brownie nut, bought mixes and baked and ate them. Now widowed, I am not that fond of them, so don't buy...but any other cookie is fair game! Trying hard to give them up...succeeded in forgetting about French fries, now cookies are next!

Quote Originally Posted by ChesKat View Post
    Brownie mix with a container of coconut pecan frosting swirled through it...yummy
    Oh, that sounds good. I'll have to try it.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Doesn't matter the brand, if it's BOGO, it's in my cart. Especially like ones with caramel in them, nuts or double chocolate. But don't like them with anything on top anymore. Just an added sweet and makes it too much.

My mom would make scratch brownies, when she took them out of the oven she would put marshmellows on them, when cooled she would frost.
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?
    Kathy

I use a regular brownie mix and add a 4.25 oz. Symphony Bar with toffee bits. I chop the candy bar up into approximately 1/2 inch pieces. Mix the brownie mix as directed on the box. Place about 1/2 the batter in the bottom of your greased pan ( I use spray in the pan first). Sprinkle the candy bar bits on top of the batter and finish with the rest of the batter. Bake for the longest time on the box. Allow to cool before cutting.

Yes, I do like my brownies like that. All of that.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Quote Originally Posted by jeanequilts View Post
    I use a regular brownie mix and add a 4.25 oz. Symphony Bar with toffee bits. I chop the candy bar up into approximately 1/2 inch pieces. Mix the brownie mix as directed on the box. Place about 1/2 the batter in the bottom of your greased pan ( I use spray in the pan first). Sprinkle the candy bar bits on top of the batter and finish with the rest of the batter. Bake for the longest time on the box. Allow to cool before cutting.
    I have done this- they are delicious!

Blog Entries
    Duncan Hines fudge dark chocolate brownies with an extra egg thrown in, and pecans. Nirvana! I freeze them so they last longer, if I don’t freeze the DH will eat them all in one evening. Lol. (Yes, this is the man who says he doesn’t really care for chocolate. Lol)

FYI - when manufacturers make baking mixes, they only put in what must be there to get a satisfactory result. I have always added an extra egg to any baking mix, especially cornbread. Makes a moister slightly denser corn bread. (When I lived in Texas, I was famous for my yellow cornbread at potlucks. (They never knew it was 3 jiffy mixes in 9”x13” and a couple extra eggs. Lol)
    Last edited by madamekelly; 12-06-2017 at 06:30 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

DJ
    I have a triple chocolate brownie recipe that turns out kind of fudgy. I love it and usually have all the ingredients on hand to make last minute if needed. Nuts (walnuts) are NOT optional. Love it warm with vanilla ice cream and a berry topping.

Love brownies but since I am trying really really hard to get off the sugar train (it is an addiction similar to cigarettes), I don't bake them unless they are going to a get together or party or such.
    But my hint for all of you who use a mix: try using orange flavored olive oil instead of plain veggie oil most mixes call for. It will take those brownies over the top . When I do make them, I use the Ghirardelli mixes. Enjoy.

Sugar really is addictive! I've cut waaaay down. I noticed the more I eat the more I want and now the reverse is true.
    And I really can't eat anything sweet at night or I fall asleep. It acts like a sleeping pill with me. I'm not kidding!

Hersheys Special Dark Cocoa container has/had a brownie recipe on the back that has been my go to brownie recipe with the Hersheys brownie frosting recipe. Sad I've had a hard time finding Hersheys Special Dark cocoa for 1-2 yrs.
    I recently ordered black cocoa from King Arthur will be making Black cocoa Brownies(a new recipe for me) for the holidays. Per website; Black cocoa tastes similar to Oreos.
    Too, I want to give a shout out to the Gourmet Dark cocoa I found at Sam's Club!! Excellent!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast