Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Any Canadian cooks out there that can help? >

Any Canadian cooks out there that can help?

Any Canadian cooks out there that can help?

Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 AM

I just can't put gravy and fries together...love brown gravy with bread, and also dds loved, as kids, gravy specials-red pasta gravy on fresh Italian bread....and I like malt vinegar on fish, .gave up fries awhile back, but did like them with malt vinegar too. Cheese curds eh..not really a fan
Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM

I grew up in Ontario - our highschool cafeteria had french fries, gravy and a burger every day. The burger was just a plain patty on a bun and brown gravy was spooned over the fries and the bun. If that's what he's missing, all you really need to do is pour a beef gravy over fries. In a pinch I make oven fries and a package of McCormicks Brown Gravy - brings back all the memories.
As others have said, poutine involves cheese curds added to those items.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM

I've seen this type of containers at restaurants https://www.amazon.com/Tabletop-Vine...egar+dispenser for sprinkling vinegar.

First time I saw my Canadian cousins sprinkling vinegar on their fries I must of had a confused look on my face. My mother explained that's the way they liked to eat their fries.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by pennycandy View Post
I've seen this type of containers at restaurants https://www.amazon.com/Tabletop-Vine...egar+dispenser for sprinkling vinegar.

First time I saw my Canadian cousins sprinkling vinegar on their fries I must of had a confused look on my face. My mother explained that's the way they liked to eat their fries.
This Canadian has those at home.

If you want to try Poutine with a twist, Pulled Pork Poutine is a heart attack in a dish and oh so good.

Cheese sauce and gravy do not make poutine.

Vinegar, white or malt is more important that ketchup on fries. It is also good on hash browns.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

I love malt vinegar on fries but I picked it up from English style fish and chips. It is also very popular at the county fairs. Since eating fish and chips English style I adore having malt vinegar on batter fried fish as well.

We used to do motorcycle vacations in Canada quite often and an item we saw offered a lot was something called Donair. Signs for it everywhere. One of our companions asked what it was. Vendor said "Meat". So we pressed him... What kind of meat? Reply "Its just meat". This was in Nova Scotia so possibly a regional thing?? Either way we passed on the Donair.