Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OK, I'll Say It...Please Post Some Lo-Cal Recipes For New Year's Resolution

OK, I'll Say It...Please Post Some Lo-Cal Recipes For New Year's Resolution

It's a new year and more than a few pounds have crept on. It's time to hit the reset button...sigh. I've rejoined WW and now I'm on the hunt for some new, low-fat, low-cal recipes, preferrably plant-based. (Or at least a recipe that can be easily altered.) Breakfast ideas are especially welcome. Thanks!

~ C

I'm doing the new year with a healthy breakfast of oatmeal topped with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand; 1/2 cup of one maybe blueberries, strawberries, bananas, or apples.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    I'm doing the new year with a healthy breakfast of oatmeal topped with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand; 1/2 cup of one maybe blueberries, strawberries, bananas, or apples.
    Oooh...nice. I've been doing something similar, but with pearled barley. (I'm out of oatmeal...putting on list right now.)

~ C

I love fruit added into oatmeal.
    Cinnamon too.
    A wee bit of maple syrup for the sweetener.

When I make oatmeal, I usually make a big pot of it.
    Then freeze in single portions along with the fruit.
    Makes for an easy-peasy and healthy breakfast!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Blog Entries
    I start my day with homemade granola. It is full of nuts and seeds, plus oatmeal, brown rice flakes and more. I eat 1/3 cup with a handful of frozen berries, half a banana and almond milk. It keeps me full until lunch, it has protein and healthy fats from the nuts and seeds.

For lunches I like a salad with dried fruits (cranberries, cut up apricots), sun dried tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts and avocado. The tomatoes and artichokes have enough liquid that extra dressing is not needed. I do have to add meat or seafood to my salad, otherwise it upsets my digestion just having lots of leafy greens. If I have goat feta, I will add it to the salad too.

Or I eat left overs for my lunch.

Today lunch is chili. Lots of vegies, lean meat and beans.

The university I attend has a culinary program and I often will eat dinner for lunch there.

Dinners are just about portion control.

My downfall are kettle cooked potato chips. I have gained 30 pounds over the past 2.5 years, mostly attributed to chips and lack of exercise. I am working on the exercise side of things, and have not bought any chips in 2018.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Chicken, fish and pork plus all the veggies you can eat is our usual at home fare. We really didn't change what we ate, just how it is cooked. Less fried foods, cooking with little or no fat, steamed or raw veggies and fruit on hand for a quick snack.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

If you have an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker, there is a facebook page "weight watchers with an instant pot". It is extremely active and post all kinds of recipes. Even if you don't have a pressure cooker, some of the recipes they share can be done in a crock pot or on the stove, in the oven. One site that is a favorite of mine and is used a lot by that group is Skinnytaste. Everything I have made is very good. Good luck with your new plan to eat healthier.
    here is a link.
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/

Try adding cranberry relish. I make mine with a good amount of orange zest and the juice of 1 orange. Canned can be used in the off-season.

Someone once told me this is a Weight Watchers recipe. Wherever it came from, it has become my go-to:

Amazingly Useful Chicken

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a baking pan with sides (I using a roasting pan)

Cut 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves in strips and pile in the pan.
    Mix together:
    2 T. olive oil
    2 t. chili powder
    1 ½ t. cumin
    ½ t. garlic powder
    ½ t. oregano
    ¼ t. salt
    Sprinkle over chicken. Sometimes I prepare a while ahead and “marinate” the chicken in this mixture for a while.

In a bowl mix:
    One or two green or red peppers, cut in strips
    One sliced medium onion
    Any other vegetables you would like (zucchini, green beans, etc.)
    Pour into pan and mix with the chicken.

Bake 20-25 min., stirring once or twice, until chicken is done.

Serve hot or cold, over rice, on top of a tossed salad (like taco salad), or in taco/fajita shells

I am also thinking of WW again. It worked for me and I left. Bad me!

Thanks Murphy224 for the site. Some really low cal recipes there that look great.
    Linda J.

We eat healthy but need new ideas so keep them coming. I steam Brussels sprouts, marinate in pickle juice, slice into salad. Good fiber & keeps a long time. I have a “yo-nana” machine which makes a faux ice cream from frozen fruit and bananas. We walk as often as we can.

All of these ideas sound yummy. Sadly, I don't have an instantpot, or air fryer, or pressure cooker.

But, I'm home all the time now, so I have time to cook up a storm on my trusty, 1950, O'Keefe & Merritt stove. (With the griddle-in-the-middle.) I know, I'm bragging...sorry...I love that stove. I probably love it too much, which is why I need to lose some pounds.

This morning, I made an awesome breakfast. I grilled 3, small slices of whole-wheat, sourdough bread on the griddle and topped them with some low-fat hummus and chopped tomatoes. I cut up an orange for a side. It tasted so fresh and lively! I like having something else in the morning besides the regular, American-style breakfast. Not that I don't like American-style breakfasts...I love them, but it's nice to change things up once in awhile.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    low-fat, low-cal recipes, preferably plant-based. (Or at least a recipe that can be easily altered.) Breakfast ideas are especially welcome. Thanks!~ C
    Low fat is not the way to go. Low sugar is! And all white flour turns to sugar in your tummy. The new way to eat is Keto: High fat, medium protein and low carbs. That's: eat the butter, bacon, lard. Have meat or peanut butter and such, and cut out processed sugars and most wheat flours. There are many natural sugars out there which don't have calories and still taste good. Two eggs for breakfast has been my mainstay for about four years now. I lost 30 pounds, and my goal was not to lose weight. I'm quite tall, so 30 pounds doesn't show as much. The eggs are protein and gave me much more energy than cereal. And I always drink full-fat milk. Tastes soooo good.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I forgot to add the reason to eat the fat. Your brain is made up of fat, and it needs fat to function. Mother's milk is made with lots of cholesterol and fat. Nature knew that's what babies need from the beginning, and we all need to feed our brains.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by tropit View Post
    Oooh...nice. I've been doing something similar, but with pearled barley. (I'm out of oatmeal...putting on list right now.)

~ C
    The best oatmeal is steel cut, I make enough for about 4 days. Bring 4 cups water to a boil, add 1.5 cup of steel cut oats, stir, bring back to boil--turn off heat and let set for a couple hours, in fridge to warm up each morning. You can put 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon in oatmeal, does not harm the liver. I am doing the steel cut oats for the true fiber to improve cholesterol numbers at next labs.

For weight loss==As a before am/pm meal, I drank a cup of warm water with 2 tablespoons Braggs vinegar, 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon raw honey. Drinking this every day for 3 months, my A1c went from 6.2 down to 5.8 and have lost weight everyday while doing the drink. I have stopped the drink and take 1 Ceylon capsule at supper because the weight kept coming off and I needed to stop it.
    Some say the Braggs can loosen up their colon, so beware of that fact, recipe is from earthclinic.com It must use the Ceylon cinnamon as it by far the safest version to consume daily and be healthy.

I am now eating more organic and lo-carb foods.

Good luck on your adventure for a new you this year.

Good for you ...you're on a healthy road. I love steel-cut oatmeal too. Plus, if I buy it instead of regular rolled oats, I'm less tempted to make oatmeal cookies. (I'm so bad sometimes.)

~C

Murphy224...thanks for that link!

~ C

Blog Entries
    I love veggies, am now making the best green beans ever. Fresh green beans, can of diced tomatoes, allspice, oregano onion/garlic if you like. Simmer for 45 minutes, do NOT peek. I sprinkle lightly with parmesean or feta cheese
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    I've been on WW since last January and have lost 54 lbs. so it works great if you follow their plan. My favorite sites for WW recipes are Skinnytaste (mentioned above), http://www.emilybites.com/ http://dailydoseofpepper.com/ http://www.kitchme.com/ http://www.hungry-girl.com/ https://simple-nourished-living.com/author/martha/
    These all have great recipes and tell you what the WW points are.
    JudyG

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    I've been on WW since last January and have lost 54 lbs. so it works great if you follow their plan. My favorite sites for WW recipes are Skinnytaste (mentioned above), http://www.emilybites.com/ http://dailydoseofpepper.com/ http://www.kitchme.com/ http://www.hungry-girl.com/ https://simple-nourished-living.com/author/martha/
    My daughter has been doing WW for almost a year now. She has lost 50+lbs and is faithfully following their point system and is keeping the weight off. She has fibromyalgia and is feeling a whole lot better, but still has good and bad days with her symptoms. As a diabetic, I have subscribed to Mr. Food's Diabetic recipes and they have some good recipes, too. I have a lot printed off, I want to try sooner or later. What is hard for me is Splenda is not tolerated by my body, so buying diabetic is almost out of the question now that a lot of the producers are using Splenda in most of their products.

I did another "oatmeal and fruit" variation. (I'm still out of oatmeal...going shopping today.) I had some farro in the pantry and I thought, why not? So my breakfast was farro, thawed frozen blueberries, a dash of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of ground flax seed. Pretty good! A little squeaky though...LOL.

I've gotten into making this broth a couple of times a week. It's very filling and satisfying:

Veggie stock, fat-free, low-sodium (You could use chicken stock too, if you wish, but if you're on WW, the points will be a little higher.)
    Mushrooms, sliced
    a dash of tumeric
    2-3 Tablespoons paprika
    lots of garlic, crushed
    a dash of tamari (soy sauce)

Simmer for a few minutes

This makes up as a very rich, tasty, clear broth. I put lots of mushrooms in it to give it some body. It's so filling.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    Congrats! You are my inspiration! Thanks for the great links!

~C

Quote Originally Posted by nlgh View Post
    My daughter has been doing WW for almost a year now. She has lost 50+lbs and is faithfully following their point system and is keeping the weight off. She has fibromyalgia and is feeling a whole lot better, but still has good and bad days with her symptoms. As a diabetic, I have subscribed to Mr. Food's Diabetic recipes and they have some good recipes, too. I have a lot printed off, I want to try sooner or later. What is hard for me is Splenda is not tolerated by my body, so buying diabetic is almost out of the question now that a lot of the producers are using Splenda in most of their products.
    Congrats to your dau! I love WW. This is not my first experience with them. I've probably joined 3, or 4 times throughout my life. You'd think that I'd have Lifetime membership by now. The program changes a little bit every year, but I think it just keeps getting better.

Diabetes is a tough one. I would think that it is hard to come up with good recipes. Not tolerating Splenda makes it even harder. Have you tried other sweeteners? What about stevia? There's another one...what is it? Mesquite bark? Something kinda strange like that, but it might be worth looking into. I've seen it on the shelves in the health food store.

~ C

Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I love veggies, am now making the best green beans ever. Fresh green beans, can of diced tomatoes, allspice, oregano onion/garlic if you like. Simmer for 45 minutes, do NOT peek. I sprinkle lightly with parmesean or feta cheese
    Yummmm! The allspice makes it interesting. Thanks!

~ C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast