Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
OK, I'll Say It...Please Post Some Lo-Cal Recipes For New Year's Resolution >

OK, I'll Say It...Please Post Some Lo-Cal Recipes For New Year's Resolution

OK, I'll Say It...Please Post Some Lo-Cal Recipes For New Year's Resolution

Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 AM

I did another "oatmeal and fruit" variation. (I'm still out of oatmeal...going shopping today.) I had some farro in the pantry and I thought, why not? So my breakfast was farro, thawed frozen blueberries, a dash of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of ground flax seed. Pretty good! A little squeaky though...LOL.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:17 AM

I've gotten into making this broth a couple of times a week. It's very filling and satisfying:

Veggie stock, fat-free, low-sodium (You could use chicken stock too, if you wish, but if you're on WW, the points will be a little higher.)
Mushrooms, sliced
a dash of tumeric
2-3 Tablespoons paprika
lots of garlic, crushed
a dash of tamari (soy sauce)

Simmer for a few minutes

This makes up as a very rich, tasty, clear broth. I put lots of mushrooms in it to give it some body. It's so filling.

~ C
Old 01-07-2018, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
I've been on WW since last January and have lost 54 lbs. so it works great if you follow their plan. My favorite sites for WW recipes are Skinnytaste (mentioned above), http://www.emilybites.com/ http://dailydoseofpepper.com/ http://www.kitchme.com/ http://www.hungry-girl.com/ https://simple-nourished-living.com/author/martha/
These all have great recipes and tell you what the WW points are.
Congrats! You are my inspiration! Thanks for the great links!

~C
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by nlgh View Post
My daughter has been doing WW for almost a year now. She has lost 50+lbs and is faithfully following their point system and is keeping the weight off. She has fibromyalgia and is feeling a whole lot better, but still has good and bad days with her symptoms. As a diabetic, I have subscribed to Mr. Food's Diabetic recipes and they have some good recipes, too. I have a lot printed off, I want to try sooner or later. What is hard for me is Splenda is not tolerated by my body, so buying diabetic is almost out of the question now that a lot of the producers are using Splenda in most of their products.
Congrats to your dau! I love WW. This is not my first experience with them. I've probably joined 3, or 4 times throughout my life. You'd think that I'd have Lifetime membership by now. The program changes a little bit every year, but I think it just keeps getting better.

Diabetes is a tough one. I would think that it is hard to come up with good recipes. Not tolerating Splenda makes it even harder. Have you tried other sweeteners? What about stevia? There's another one...what is it? Mesquite bark? Something kinda strange like that, but it might be worth looking into. I've seen it on the shelves in the health food store.

~ C
Old 01-07-2018, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I love veggies, am now making the best green beans ever. Fresh green beans, can of diced tomatoes, allspice, oregano onion/garlic if you like. Simmer for 45 minutes, do NOT peek. I sprinkle lightly with parmesean or feta cheese
Yummmm! The allspice makes it interesting. Thanks!

~ C
Old 01-07-2018, 06:59 AM

Congrats on joining WW. I rejoined too as an online member. It seems in the new program, carbs are the enemy. At least they are points. For breakfast, I stick to egg dishes and proteins. I don't like to use many points at the beginning of the day. A WW coach from when I was going to meetings said never mess with your first cup of coffee, so my breakfast points go for creamer.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Congrats on joining WW. I rejoined too as an online member. It seems in the new program, carbs are the enemy. At least they are points. For breakfast, I stick to egg dishes and proteins. I don't like to use many points at the beginning of the day. A WW coach from when I was going to meetings said never mess with your first cup of coffee, so my breakfast points go for creamer.
Nice! I'm glad to see that you and a few others here are on WW too. Good luck on your journey. Perhaps we should start a thread just for WW recipes. I love the new program, but I'm still trying to figure out a few things, like how to post something on Connect. I can give a reply, but not a post. Is that just a mobile app thing? I totally agree with your WW coach. I keep my coffee just as it always was and I have as much of it as I want. I just track it, which is hardly anything anyway. I'm surprised that eggs are now zero points! Today is my weigh-in day...fingers crossed.

Breakfast for me today:
2 Van's Whole Grain Waffles
1 poached egg
1/2 C blueberries simmered until soft

Coffee w/almond milk
(WW SPs 4)

~C
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM

I agree with Maviskw all the way... but I have lived low carb..Keto for years now going from 358 slowly down to 140... yep the size 10 jeans feel so good... and I am a cancer survivor 2 chemo's and a stem cell transplant.. and stayed on my low carb the whole time... I am 74 now and have maintained this for years.... I too love my eggs.. bacon, meats and my fresh veggies... I also my Fat Bombs for my snack and my Bullet proof coffee......LOVE MY COFFEE Black and all day long... with some Iced tea along the way..
low carb is the only way for me and works for everyone...WW did not do it for me.. over and over over the years.. yes,, I ltried with all I had... to no avail...............blessings to one and all...
Old 01-12-2018, 06:07 AM

I made this last night and it was so yummy. I thought I'd post the recipe. I found it on WW, but I made a few revisions and shortened it up for this post.

Thai Pumpkin Curry

1 Small Pumpkin, skinned, seeded, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes (Firm winter squashes s/a Kabocha, or Butternut are OK too.)
3 cups Vegetable Broth
1/2 Onion, Chopped Coarsely
1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped Coarsely
3 Stalks Dino Kale, Destemmed, Chopped
1 15 oz Can Coconut Milk (Lite Version)
1 Stalk Lemongrass, Crushed
3 Lime Leaves, Crushed
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
1 Tablespoon, Ginger, Minced
1-3 Tablespoons Garlic Chili Paste
2 Tablespoons Thai Basil, Chopped
Dash of Soy Sauce To Taste
Dash of Sriracha To Taste

Garnish:
Chopped Cilantro
Chopped Almonds

IN a large sauté pan, simmer until the pumpkin in the broth until it is tender. (You can also precook the pumpkin in the oven until soft.) Add onion, peppers, kale to the pumpkin mixture and continue to simmer until vegetables are just slightly tender. Add coconut milk, lemongrass, lime leaves, garlic, ginger, chili paste and basil and simmer for a few more minutes. Season with soy sauce and sriracha. Serve over a bed of rice.

I can't remember the number of WW SM points it was, but it was well worth whatever I spent on this dish. It was tasty!

~ C
Old 01-13-2018, 06:57 AM

For those of you who are watching your cholesterol, this is very similar to scrambled eggs w/veggies. I make this frequently. There are two ingredients that make it taste extra "eggy"...the Kite Hill almond cream cheese, and the Himalayan black salt (Kala Namak.) Kite Hill is a little expensive (but soooo good) and can usually be found at Whole Foods Market and the black salt (inexpensive) can be found online. Even if you aren't looking for healthy foods, or wathcing your weight, this is pretty tasty!

Tofu Veggie Scramble

1/2 Cup Vegetable Broth
1 Clove Garlic
1/4 Teaspoon Tumeric
1/4 Paprika
1-2 Teaspoons Black Salt
1/2 Chopped Onions
1/2 Cup Chopped Red Bell Peppers
1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
1 Cup Broccoli
1 Block Extra Firm Tofu Drained
3 Tablespoons Kite Hill Cream Cheese
1 Teaspoon Chia Seeds

Heat up a large, non-stick skillet to medium heat. Add broth, garlic, tumeric, paprika and salt. Simmer for about 1 minute to blend the flavors. To this, add all of the veggies and saute until tender. Add the block of tofu and smash it up in the pan, while stirring in the veggies. Stir in the cream cheese and chia seeds. Adjust the black salt and any other seasonings to taste. I like this rolled up in a tortilla with Tapatio, or Gochujang sauce. You can also vary the veggies to your liking. (WW SPs came to only 2...6, if you add a whole wheat tortilla.)

~ C