Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What's Your Favorite Condiment To Cook With?

What's Your Favorite Condiment To Cook With?

I love condiments. In fact, my "collection" of condiments was a deciding factor on what refrigerator to buy. It had to have lots of door space for all of my jars of goodies. I have all of the common things like catsup, mustard, mayo, etc., but it's the exotic concoctions that I'm most intrigued with, like gochujang, tamarind paste, garlic-chili paste, sesame oil and some homemade stuff. What are some of your favorites?

~ C

The good concentrated broth pastes. I use chicken, beef, vegetable, mushroom, and ham broths. I use cream cheese in most all sauces except gravies. I took a two month gourmet cooking class a long time ago and learned how to boost flavor with flavor. A jar of good pesto sauce is a must have in my fridge too.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I guess I use a lot of ketchup as I go through bottles of it...or maybe I make a lot of meatloaf!
    Penny

Truffle oil, Hoisen sauce, rice vinegar.Sherry, sesame oil, raspberry chipotle sauce, are a few that come to mind that I make sure I have on hand.
    "I may not believe in what you say but will defend your right to say it"- Voltaire

Roasted red pepper pesto...mix it with chicken broth and cream cheese for an amazing sauce.
    Thai sweet chili sauce
    Balsamic glaze
    Lots of mustards, but my favourite is Russian.

Watson

Nutello, Hot fudge, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, blue cheese dressing, orange infused honey. (I don't know if you consider those condiments but they are in my fridge door.
    "Never cruel, nor cowardly, never give up, never give in."

Let's take care of the Earth, it is the only planet that for sure has Chocolate.

Sonic screwdrivers, fez, bow ties, and Stetsons are cool.

I like a lot of the above. Being a Texan salsa and hot sauces take a lot of space here.

Definitely pesto. We also love tahini for making hummus.
    Last edited by SusieQOH; 01-13-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Salsa, worcestershire, bbq sauce, honey dijon mustard, ketchup, butter. Love me some butter.

My homemade green tomato relish (recipe on BH&G website). It is great in tuna/chicken/ham salad. Oriental sauces for sure. And salsa. I put it in my chili when there are 2 or 3 jars open and need to be used.

Sesame oil, oyster sauce, balsamic vinegar, green curry paste, soy sauce, dijon mustard plus a few others.

My favorite is a homemade eel sauce..very easy to make and always in my fridge! Slightly sweet/salty and a bit thicker than a teriyaki sauce. Great with salmon and shrimp, veggies and rice. Happy to share recipe if anyone would like it!

I use SAZON PERFECTA by TRIO SANTI. Just the right seasoning for eggs, burgers, meatloaf, any kind of meat including chicken.

Onebyone-do you have a brand name for good broth pastes? Thanks
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

I've become addicted to sriracha and now use it on everything.....

Tone is the brand most used for concentrated beef and chicken stock paste in the 16 oz tubs. I like Better then Bullion brand for the other flavors. The vegetable one is so savory! I use Sazon Completa by Badia dry seasoning to add extra flavor to most savory dishes especially meats soups and stews. You want to know how to make brown gravy extra dark? Use a tiny bit of Rye caramel color used in the making of dark bread. Instant dark color and no dye. I keep a small jar of it in the fridge. The powder will get hard so add a tiny bit of very hot water to make a paste in the jar and it will keep forever. I dip a toothpick in it to swirl in the gravy. A tiny amount is all you need to add brown color to any soup or gravy.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    Looks like us quilters like lots of flavour.

Thai curry pastes, Hoisin Sauce, Oyster sauce, Black Bean Sauce (try it in meat loaf), the regular hamburger condiments, whole grain mustard, sesame oil, truffle oil, HP, Worchester Sauce, an Indonesian sauce I buy locally, several salad dressings, capers, Sweet Chili, Chili garlic, Sriracha, adobe peppers in sauce, Soy sauce, peanut sauce. I am sure there are more.

I always have jars of salsa, but the ones I use do not have preservatives, so left over gets poured over chicken or a pork shoulder and cooked in the crock pot. The chicken comes out tasting like chicken cacciatore, the pork makes great pulled pork for any number of dishes.

I keep a variety of vinegars on hand too.

Onebyone, another tip for gravy if it needs salt as well as browning, a bit of soy sauce does the trick.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Mustards and Maggi Sauce! I must have 20 different kinds of mustard in the door of my fridge and I especially like the dill mustards or olive mustard. Those of you in Wisconsin are lucky to have the Mustard Museum just outside of Madison. They do have an online store but the actual museum is fabulous because they have about 5,000 different kinds and you can try most of them. As for Maggi, it's sort of like soy sauce but has a more beefy flavor even though there's no beef in it. I use in soups, stews, gravies and it even improves some salads. (Most stores sell it near the soy sauce, and all Asian groceries seem to carry it even though it's made in Switzerland.)
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I like Fish Sauce but it's hard to find, I have to order it. If you know how it's made then you probably won't buy it. Took me a long time to get over that but the tastes is fabulous.

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-fish-s...er-tour-203405