Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook your meatballs?

Hi ladies and gents, too?
    After you mix up your favorite meatball recipe, whatever that might be, HOW DO YOU COOK/PREPARE YOURS?

In the past, I've made small 1 inch balls > dropped them into boiling water until they float > then scoop them out to drain > put them on a tray to freeze an hour or so > pop them into the freezer baggies for use later.

The last time I made them larger (1-2 in), I think I pan-cooked them till browned and then baked them 20 min. or so... then to freezer. I don't think this batch is going to work... looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

I put on rack over baking tray and bake until no longer pink. I love that the fat drains off.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    All my relatives make them the way you do, including me. Frying in olive oil and then baking them makes them so yummy!
    I fry practically nothing but my meatballs. I also put some in the sauce and leave some out b/c I love them plain :D:D
    I put lots of parsley and grated Romano into them.
    Geezzzzzzzz now I want some !lololol

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I bake mine until no longer pink then put them on crockpot with sauce.

I just bought this meatball pan. I want the grease to drain away.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/...all-baker.aspx

I put them on a broiler pan and broil them until they are not pink. Turn them, and broil them on the other side. Then I place them in Spaghetti sauce and simmer them for an hour or so. The trick is to not let them brown under the broiler or they will not soak up the deliciousness of the sauce ;)

I bake them on my broiler pan so the fat drains off, usually I make extras and freeze those from this point and drop the rest in the sauce. I make mine more in the 2 inch range, mostly so cause I don't want to take the time to make mini meatballs.

Blog Entries
    I bake them in the oven in a cast iron pan. Edie

Cook them on the stove top in a fry'n pan (no oils added). Toss them all (including the drippings from the fry'n pan) in to marinara sauce :)

Blog Entries
    I browned them than bake for 30 minutes or so!

Blog Entries
    I usually put mine in those suction bags six to a sleve 3 on each side--I don't cook them until ready to use. When ready I defrost them and put parchment paper on my cookie sheet and back the or you can use a rack-when they are browned I then put them in the sauce for about 20 mins to 30 mins-I also do this with sausage but I piece the skin before baking them.

I use very lean meat and drop them raw into the sauce to cook. I make them about 1 1/2 inch diameter. They are very flavorful this way and add flavor to the sauce also.

Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I use very lean meat and drop them raw into the sauce to cook. I make them about 1 1/2 inch diameter. They are very flavorful this way and add flavor to the sauce also.
    Yep, this is how I make mine. My parents were born, raised, and married in Italy before they moved here.
    My mom never heard of baking them and then placing them in the sauce. That is where all the flavor comes from by dropping them in raw. Yes, the grease comes to the top and we skim it off with no problem.

I put them on a cookie sheet sprayed lightly with olive oil and bake them, then drain away all the fat.

Blog Entries
    I bake mine till done, then put them flat in freezer bags till frozen all the way so they don't stick together, and then I can move the bags around and not worry that I'll have a GIANT "monkey" frozen meatball (like monkey bread) LOL.

This is how I do mine also. Use a crockpot and simmer all day.

I buy mine in a large bag from Sam's. How sad is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Slow2Sew
    I buy mine in a large bag from Sam's. How sad is that?
    Wow...I may try that! Not sad at all!

Make my meatballs a about 2" Put them in a lg cast iron fry pan in oven on 400 to brown turning as needed ( I have to do this a few times for my lg batches). Then freeze what I am not using that day. I finish off the cooking in the sauce. When I make meatballs I usually make up about 10 lbs of meat. I freeze in 1 layer diffeerent size bags so they are a quick easy meal at other times.

This is the way I do it too. Come out soooo good :D

Blog Entries
    I am married to a Sicilian. and his mother taught me to make them and put on a rack in the oven with a 1/2 cup beef broth in the bottom and cook for about 30 min, then put it all in the sauce. I use three kinds of meat. beef ,pork and veal.

Blog Entries
    Around here, meatballs fall into the fast food category. Whenever we're out, I make about 5 pounds of ground meat into small meatballs. I have all kinds of different flavourings, and they all get baked, frozen individually, then put into freezer bags for quick additions to meals.

I just bake them on a parchment-covered cookie sheet.

Blog Entries
    I've never done it this way, have either fried or baked them first. I will definitely try it this way next time.

Blog Entries
    i don't have that kind of time. i buy the frozen meatballs at sams, then i put them in a watered down sauce in my preasure cooker and cook 15 mins. then take the lid off add the rest of the sauce and simmer to thicken the sauce.the meat balls has the sauce and flavor throught-out. good eats.
    phyllis nm

For the longest time I used to bake my meatballs. Then I tasted my friend Janet's meatballs. I never had such delicious meatballs. Now I just toss them into my sauce just like she does.

Yummy !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast