Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Centennial Featherweight For "Show".... >

Centennial Featherweight For "Show"....

Centennial Featherweight For "Show"....

Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Default Centennial Featherweight For "Show"....

I went to my favorite thrift store today and high up on a shelf was a pretty Centennial Featherweight, with a box of attachments too. I suddenly needed it... you know how it is! I asked if it was for sale. The man said "no". I asked if they would be willing to sell it and the lady said, "no, it's cute and pretty up there." Crumbs.... Its just going to collect dust that high up! Maybe if I go back in a couple of weeks and do some bargaining.... Does it frustrate you and make your heart ache that its doomed to a life on a high shelf? I wasn't sure if I was more mad or than sad.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Go to estate sales. There are tons of them out there.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

​That's just sad!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM
Banned

I bet they aren't willing to sell it because one of them wants to take it home.

Cari
Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Maybe you could trade them for a showier machine. Or you could give me the addy for the thrift. hehe
Old 01-23-2018, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I have a feeling they may want to take it home. Just a thought. Yeah, bummer!
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 PM

I think leonf has the right idea. If I were anywhere near there, I have the perfect swap machine for someone who thinks a vintage machine is "for show". I bought an old New Home type of machine with most of the innards missing and a teddy bear and flowers all glued on very artistically. I thought I was rescuing it, but it seems too much of a project for me and I'd rather be quilting. I'll bet they'd much rather have that than the plainer Featherweight.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I think leonf has the right idea. If I were anywhere near there, I have the perfect swap machine for someone who thinks a vintage machine is "for show". I bought an old New Home type of machine with most of the innards missing and a teddy bear and flowers all glued on very artistically. I thought I was rescuing it, but it seems too much of a project for me and I'd rather be quilting. I'll bet they'd much rather have that than the plainer Featherweight.
Not if they know anything at all about the fW.

Cari
Old 01-26-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I went to my favorite thrift store today and high up on a shelf was a pretty Centennial Featherweight, with a box of attachments too. I suddenly needed it... you know how it is! I asked if it was for sale. The man said "no". I asked if they would be willing to sell it and the lady said, "no, it's cute and pretty up there." Crumbs.... Its just going to collect dust that high up! Maybe if I go back in a couple of weeks and do some bargaining.... Does it frustrate you and make your heart ache that its doomed to a life on a high shelf? I wasn't sure if I was more mad or than sad.
Sorry that happened to you. Sounds like they want to keep the machine for themselves. I use to look on eBay and try to bid on Featherweights but had no luck. I was also apprehensive because you can't test out the machine when you buy it on line. Etsy sometimes has Featherweights and so do Craigs List but it's the same thing, you can't test it out. One day quite a few years ago, my husband and I were at a quilt shop and they were selling a Singer Featherweight Centennial and he surprised me and bought it for me! I love it! I got to try it out, etc. So maybe some day you'll come across one when you're not even trying to find one like we did.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:51 AM

Well, here's an update. I went into the thrift store today and what do you know, the Featherweight was gone. I asked who bought it. One of the ladies who work there bought it for $400. Ouch! They offered me one with no attachments and no cord for $300. Still too much for me. Well, the search continues.

Leonf, do you still want the address