Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Future Is Now; How Do You Integrate New Discoveries Within Your Own Quilting >

The Future Is Now; How Do You Integrate New Discoveries Within Your Own Quilting

The Future Is Now; How Do You Integrate New Discoveries Within Your Own Quilting

Old 01-26-2018, 08:07 PM

Default The Future Is Now; How Do You Integrate New Discoveries Within Your Own Quilting

My last thread’s topic
Returning To The Quilting/Garment Sewing Industry After A Long Time-Or Not

seemed to help made me think about how I integrate new ideas into my own sewing/quilting habits over the years. I turned inward and seemed to finally “get” the real happening or meaning of where the true proper place where quality sewing/quilting should take place now and in the foreseeable future. It’s where the consumer always actually is-within the home environment itself rather than a semi or completely automated factory.

I see & utilize the three Ts every time I work within my own personal sewing nook. Or many years ago, within the fashion industry itself. These three activities are:

Technique The methods I employ in order to create the product I envision.

Technology Generally the machines as old as a treadle sewing machine to the latest (computerized sewing machine) in order to more quickly and efficiently design & create the product It usually means other high tech devices being used like anything from a laptop to a smartphone incorporated as well.

Take Out (or Contract/Send out) an usually unfinished creation product to someone/somewhere else to finish it. This means anything from long arm quilting to heat press (screen printing/embroidery/beading images onto cloth.

The most important one I employ is utilizing and keeping up with the latest techniques. It’s relatively inexpensive involving using simple tools (i.e. sewing/quilting notions) or cloth manipulation (i.e. 5 & 10 Minute Blocks) to get the desired results. Technology is using one or both of my computers and a computerized sewing machine to get consistent professional results in a far more quickly way never before possible. The only thing I send out to another place is my need to heat press beads onto cloth. Can’t afford long arm quilting to finished my quilts. That’s a luxury for a lucky few.

I am greatly saddened by the accelerating automation of the typical sewing/quilting factories. The human touch and input will be vastly missed even though most people won’t be very aware of or might even could care less about this massive change.
Now for the rest of you. How do you incorporate all these wonderful ways of expressing yourselves? Do you adopt new ways of quilting or sewing or do you stick to the tried and true?

Do Tell!

Last edited by Iona D.; 01-26-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:01 AM

Very few things in our world today are not made with the aid, or complete work of robotics. It is part of our evolution, be it good or bad....time will tell. We have to adjust to survive.....but there is also the caveat of AI being used for destruction rather than construction! But, you know what, I can't ponder these deep thoughts too long, must get back to MY reality.......cooking, cleaning, sewing.....enjoying life, as the gift it is!
Old 01-27-2018, 05:14 AM

I personally try to learn more as I Sew along. I try new techniques I find in magazines and hear about from friends. Some I love and some not so much. I belong to a hand quilting group and I find it relaxing that being said, I also take some of my quilts to the LAQer. I tend to make 30's quilts. I love to find an old quilt and copy it and I am starting to work on mini quilts. I try to sew at least 2 hours a day. As for me, I am just loving life.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:27 AM

There is automation in all aspects of life than we all realize. As for sewing, I do it for the pure enjoyment. Whether it be clothing, home goods or quilting. If something new on the market looks interesting I may try it. But, I prefer the simple hands on old fashioned ways. As this is my hobby I am not worried about speed or efficiency. Just relax and enjoy the process.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:43 AM

Enjoying reducing my stash while listening to music. Some neat quilts appear.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:00 AM

I don't think that hard. I just sew for the fun, for the learning, and for the gifting of items of love to my friends, family, and those in need/charity.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I learned how to quilt the old fashioned way but over the years I've evolved in all aspects of quilting. Most of the time I make simpler designs but once in awhile I try something new. I'm never bored!
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

depends on if I enjoy the process or not. Not fond of handwork, so love my computerized embroidery machine for embellishment. I also have a long arm and enjoy hand guided quilting so much that I have no desire to add a computer. I do have a stitch regulator and sometimes quilt with it off, sometimes on. Proper tool for the proper job.
As far as garment construction with a human touch, as long as a majority of people are happy with an inexpensive product that everyone on the block is wearing, the industry will continue to go down the path of highest profits. Having said that, I think that there will always be a market for unique items
Old 01-27-2018, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Can’t afford long arm quilting to finished my quilts. That’s a luxury for a lucky few.
I don't agree with 'luxury for a lucky few'. I think the majority of quilters have their quilts finished by long arm quilting. In fact all the quilters (126 members) in my guild pay the long armer, have a long arm or a good domestic quilting machine. Maybe one will have a hand quilting project now and then. That's too many members for long arming to be for the lucky few.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:12 PM

I may use Spoonflower to print custom fabric or I may use scraps. Really not a deep thought to me.