Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Displaying Antique Quilt >

Displaying Antique Quilt

Displaying Antique Quilt

Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Displaying Antique Quilt

My dad inherited a quilt top, we're guessing it was from the 30's, that no one had ever gotten around to quilting. The top is ~68"x85" give or take, with squares less than an inch in size. As a surprise, my dad and I found a place online and had it hand quilted, as a gift for my mom. Long story short, my mom instead gave it to me. I've had it in an archival box for the past ~6 or so years, but I hate that it is hiding away.

I know the best way to display a quilt is to put it on a bed. But I have cats and one of my cats in particular is a real jerk. The quilt has made it about 90 years at this point, my destructive and vengeful little female should not be the end of it.

I have a large wall in a room where I can also control the light, but I'm not sure what method is safest to display on a wall. And the more I read the more confused I am. I've seen compression holders, tube on the back, and fold over a rod as the top contenders.

I'm an only child and no one is around to inherit it from me, so I want to enjoy it rather than hiding it away... Any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

You could make a sleeve for the back and hang it on a dowel. I have an old ladder that I drape antique quilts on but I don't think that would work with your cats! I know all about kitties, have had many.
I totally think you are right to display it and enjoy it.
I would love to see a picture of it!
Old 01-31-2018, 07:20 PM

I’ve seen quilts folded in any kind of cabinet with glass front. Shows them nicely.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:57 PM

Would love to see a picture.....

This is what I use for my heirloom quilts. There are 4 quilts in this that are over 75+ years old from both my husbands and my grandmothers and great aunts. The craftsman is from Texas and typically has a booth at popular quilt shows...he makes them in all shapes, sizes, and wood. Love mine and was finally able to pull these out of cubbard.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by Teen; 01-31-2018 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 PM
Power Poster

I think a curtain rod through a sleeve hand sewn to the back and put up on the wall would display it very nicely.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:12 PM

Hanging it sounds like a great idea for your home. How about sharing a picture of it with us? I'm always amazed that anyone can hold a square less than an inch in size, let alone make a quilt with it!

i have a quilt top (now quilted) that my mother inherited from her mother, but my mother wanted something else that her sister got...25+ years later the quilt top surfaced in my Mom's drawer. I heard the whole sordid (sibling rivalry?) tale, and then took it off my Mother's hands. I rented time on a long arm, had no clue what I was doing, but got it quilted. It's an ugly quilt - utilitarian is the right word for it - but I love it.

So I know that you will, indeed, love looking at that quilt on your wall!
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 PM

Do your cats climb or scratch your draperies? Would your quilt hanging on the wall be safe from them? If not, it would be better behind glass.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teen View Post

This is what I use for my heirloom quilts. There are 4 quilts in this that are over 75+ years old from both my husbands and my grandmothers and great aunts. The craftsman is from Texas and typically has a booth at popular quilt shows...he makes them in all shapes, sizes, and wood. Love mine and was finally able to pull these out of cubbard.
wow, what a super trunk!
Old 02-01-2018, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post

Your photo won't appear. It's showing a question mark.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 AM

Teen...that display is awesome!!