Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking white fabric >

Marking white fabric

Marking white fabric

Old 02-12-2018, 06:08 AM

Default Marking white fabric

I try to avoid having to mark my quilts, having had disasters with supposedly erasable markers of various sorts. But now I’d like to quilt circles on a small wall hanging that’s mostly white. Can anyone recommend a marker that will definitely disappear when I’ve finished?!
Old 02-12-2018, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

How are you quilting? Hand, domestic sewing machine sit down or rack mounted? I have always had good results using the blue mark be gone markers by following the instructions and using a name brand one like Clover or Dritz. I always test first, never leave the marks on any longer than necessary and don't iron it or expose it to extremes in temperature. But in order to fully remove the ink the quilt needs to be completely submerged in water at some point.
But if you are the least bit wary about them some other options are to cut circles out of freezer paper and iron them on to the quilt surface and quilt around them and simply peel them off as go. This probably won't work with DSM sit down quilting because the way you have to scrunch up the quilt top to fit in your machine will most likely cause the freezer paper to come off before you get to it. Another option is to teach yourself how to DSM quilt using template rulers and quilt your random circles using the ruler template. You could experiment with a hera marker which is a plastic tool that doesn't actually mark the quilt it puts a crease in the surface you can follow.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

A lot of the long arm Quilter's use the blue water erasable markers and use a mist bottle and a bit of white batting to remove the marks. If you can't get them where you are, I might quilt through the golden thread tear away paper or tissue paper. Quilting around ironed on freezer paper circles will work too.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:39 AM

I like Tartan's suggestion of paper - no marks on the quilt, but I found waxed paper tore away more easily than tissue paper. I drew on the paper with a marker, though I'd do a test first to make sure the needle doesn't carry color to the quilt. Ask me how I know.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanks Feline Fanatic. I’ll be using my domestic sewing machine. You’ve answered the question I didn’t ask! I was wondering earlier today if I could use a freezer paper template. I hadn’t thought about having to scrunch the quilt up, but my machine is quite big and the wall hanging not very wide, so it may be possible. Thankyou!

Last edited by annesthreads; 02-12-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanks Tartan. Again, this was what I was wondering about - rather than mark the quilt, could I quilt round freezer paper or through fine paper. Think I’m going to experiment.

Last edited by annesthreads; 02-12-2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I like Tartan's suggestion of paper - no marks on the quilt, but I found waxed paper tore away more easily than tissue paper. I drew on the paper with a marker, though I'd do a test first to make sure the needle doesn't carry color to the quilt. Ask me how I know.
I may try layout paper, which I’ve used in the past for paper piecing - it’s like tracing paper but a bit softer, so tears easily.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

AnnesThreads ... some have been using Frixion Pens.

They do a nice job ... However, like most markers there are pro's and con's to these
and one needs to do their own review to decide if it is for them.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

On a recent thread someone mentioned General's "Sketch and Wash" pencils. I bought some on Amazon but have not used them yet. The reviews on Amazon indicate they wash out completely, but you might want to test first:
https://www.amazon.com/General-Penci...dp/B002Y2MD16/
They are probably available in artist supply stores also, such as Dick Blick.

I do recommend testing ANY marker on scrap fabric first.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:11 PM

I know several people that use the Crayola Ultra Washable markers and have great success with them.