Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sew clean >

sew clean

sew clean

Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM

Default sew clean

Has anyone used the sew clean all natural product to get the blue marker off of fabric?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Administrator

which blue marker?
if the marker is designed to be temporary it will wash out with plain water.
a trip into the washer at the most.

i did use frixion once and it didn't wash all the way out.
just that once. it washed away every other time i used it.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 PM

the blue marker that washes out. If the Sew Clean works you won't have to wash it out. I saw it on Apothecary Quilting Rulers video.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM

He had it in a small bottle with a small spout and just placed a little on the blue line and it disappeared.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:50 PM

I think this is the video you saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTv1zbTNmbY

I haven't used this product, but speaking as a chemist, I wouldn't use it in the way he does. I've never had a problem with the blue markers (Mark-Be-Gone, or whatever) coming out with just water. I don't recall the marks ever coming back, either. The Sew Clean would therefore be fixing I problem that doesn't exist, which doesn't seem like a great way to spend my money.

I would also be concerned about using a product that he says can remove Sharpie marker in place of plain water, when water will do the trick. I'm guessing whatever is in that product is strongly oxidizing, and I would worry that over time it could weaken the fabric. I would use it if I wanted to remove a stain that wouldn't wash out, but it's really overkill to use it the way he was.

I do think that putting plain water in a little syringe or dispenser bottle of some kind like he did would be a good way of removing blue lines; I'm going to add this to my "try it" list! However, I would not use the Sew Clean in this way unless I was planning on washing the quilt fairly soon.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:54 PM

I use a "pen" with a felt tip that holds water to get my blue lines out as soon as I finish quilting that section. I've never had a problem with that. I have heard someone say that she uses a little baking soda in her water to remove the lines, but not clear on why. Jennifer 23, does that sound like the Sew Clean?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I use a "pen" with a felt tip that holds water to get my blue lines out as soon as I finish quilting that section. I've never had a problem with that. I have heard someone say that she uses a little baking soda in her water to remove the lines, but not clear on why. Jennifer 23, does that sound like the Sew Clean?
i've never heard of this pen that hold water. Would you share the product name? I": be very interested in getting this...Thank you!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
I've been trying to find out more about the Sew Clean, but can't find a good enough picture to see the manufacturer or back of the bottle. I did see one site mention "citrus extract with fresh orange scent"; that probably means that orange oil (limonene) is an ingredient.

A little baking soda in water wouldn't hurt for removing lines; it's definitely not what's in the Sew Clean, though, as that wouldn't remove Sharpie, coffee, lipstick, etc. that the Sew Clean does.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Teen View Post
i've never heard of this pen that hold water. Would you share the product name? I": be very interested in getting this...Thank you!
There are quite a few kinds; search Amazon for "water pen" and you will come up with lots. Here is the one I would probably buy: https://smile.amazon.com/Pentel-Japa...ords=water+pen
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 PM

On second thought, I like this one with a marker-type tip (other one was a brush). https://www.amazon.com/Sewline-FAB50...ne+aqua+eraser