Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
beginning classes finished! >

beginning classes finished!

beginning classes finished!

Old 03-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Default beginning classes finished!

I help teach a beginner class for my local guild and we finished today! Had 25 quilters ages 10-70's, 2 mother daughter combos, one g-ma/DGD; 2 sisters and a DIL, and several that just wanted to hang with fun quilters and learn.

We taught 4 blocks--rail fence; Drunkard's path; Sarah's Choice (pinwheel in a star); Grandmother's Flower Garden. They then sashed, borders, and today we pin basted and worked on practice pieces quilting on their domestic machines and binding practice pieces. We think it went really well, with all finishing up their tops; pin-basting; got tops stablized; and success with the practice pieces.

We'd changed up the format this year--deciding that they really needed to have a finished (or close enough) project by the end--so we cut the number of blocks we taught (cut applique and pineapple and handquilting).

To other guilds--if you want to grow your quilting community I strongly suggest you think about offering beginner classes as part of the dues to the guild--our guild gets renewed and stronger when we add to the number of quilters in our area though these classes. Get your current members to join as mentors so that the newbie really are pulled into the guild activities. PM me if you want details.
Old 03-04-2018, 04:13 AM

This is a fantastic idea. What a great experience for all those beginners to have so much experience to draw on as they learn.

Watson
Old 03-04-2018, 05:43 AM

Happy for your success with the beginners.

Congrats on the courage to change the class format so they could finish or almost finish a project. It really says a lot for your guild's instructors to recognize the different levels of a beginner and not frustrate them with too much information. We were all beginners at one time!

May you have continued success with your new members and new ideas.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM

A beginner's class that nearly finished a quilt is a fantastic idea. My intro to quilting was making templates and a couple of blocks. I put them away and didn't quilt again for years. I'll bet you could offer the same class in a couple of weeks and it would again be popular, just from word of mouth from your first students. Good for you!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM

we teach this yearly--which is how I got involved in quilting in 2010. It's always a lot of fun. We also do a "kid's camp" in June--a one day (9-3 latest) where kids come with an adult 'helper' and do at least one project and get a pizza lunch--all for free. The project is all free--our guild gets donations of fabric and all the child and helper need to bring is a machine and basic sewing supplies. We've had 5yr sitting on g-ma's lap, 14 yr sewing independently for the first time, boys and girls. It's a good start to becoming a sewer.

We also have a "kids corner" at the county fair one afternoon--again a totally free project (something simple and quick like a mug rug)and this time we bring in the machines and members help the kids. I'm so excited cause this year our kid's corner chair is 14yrs old!!
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 AM

How wonderful that you do this!!!