Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for wedding quilts other than signing and double ring >

Ideas for wedding quilts other than signing and double ring

Ideas for wedding quilts other than signing and double ring

Old 03-08-2018, 04:43 AM

Default Ideas for wedding quilts other than signing and double ring

I'm looking for ideas for a wedding quilt besides a signing quilt or a double wedding ring. I realize that any quilt can be a wedding present, but I'm wondering if anyone has done something besides the two I know about.

Right now my best idea is just incorporating the first names of the couple and their wedding date somewhere in the quilt.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:53 AM

Mitty - check our MorelCabin Creations. I am making" From This Moment - A Wedding Quilt". I will embroider with the Bride and Groom's name and date of their marriage. Here's the link: http://morelcabincreations.com.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:57 AM

My advice is any pattern you love to make. But don't ask what their "colors" are or themes. I made that mistake once and ended up with a really weird color combination that they quickly grew out of and wanted another quilt. The best advice I have heard after that was to make a neutral color quilt. Many couples start with a king size bed which is a huge quilt. Think about a throw size. You will be glad you did. Young couples change styles often.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:21 AM

Thanks Pamar, I will check it out!

Toverly, I should have added that I am going to make a throw/lap-sized quilt. I am not ambitious enough to try to make a queen or king, especially since I do the quilting on my DSM. Your point about the colors is a good one. I'd been thinking about asking them about their favorite colors, but I can see how that might not work out.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:25 AM

Lovers knot by eleanor burns
Old 03-08-2018, 06:29 AM

I too am on the fence about getting the colors from the couple. I did that for my nephew and his wife and their colors were not at all what I would have picked. That made me not like the quilt as much - they seem to still love it. I wonder in time when they repaint their bedroom how they will feel about those colors... I guess time will tell

The one that I am working on now I just picked colors that I wanted to use - I guess I will see how it settles with the couple

I think a throw size is a good idea as well. The first quilt I commented about was a king and I found out that the bride would use that on their couch - she loved the quilt and wanted to use it in the living room .. which it was really to big for
Old 03-08-2018, 07:43 AM

My cousin indicated they'd much rather have a couple of lap size quilts (his and hers) for watching TV during the cold winters in Indiana, as a wedding gift. So I made each of them a generous sized lap quilt in their family room colors (gray and white). I used a simple triple rail pattern for each. They were a big hit. And I made their dog his own TV quilt with the scraps!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

I would do a quilt pattern I wanted and have people sign the quilt backing. I would use big clamps over a table to hold the backing taut and let them sign or add advice on it. Mistakes and cross outs wouldn't matter and just make it more personal. Anything too bad could get a heart applique or label over it.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

The first thought in my head was Log Cabin.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 AM

I have seen a log cabin pattern done up in light silver and white and greys. It was at Jordan Fabrics and it was very pretty. I love their website. You might like to go there and check it out. Good luck and let us know what you decide and share a picture if you can.