Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt adhesive for applique???? >

Quilt adhesive for applique????

Quilt adhesive for applique????

Old 03-10-2018, 04:38 AM

Default Quilt adhesive for applique????

I need your help!! I'm making a banner for our Easter cantata. The background is slick, satiny material and the applique is various other fabrics, some of which are upholstery fabric.... I was going to use fusible stuff...but couldn't I use the spray stuff sometimes used to fuse batting to quilt tops? I think it would make the job so much easier... what do you think???? Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Old 03-10-2018, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Yes, it works!
I used 505 spray before I got comfortable using the fusible.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

I think spray basting would actually be better. Using heat to iron on a fusible could melt the slick, satiny material. Usually those fabrics cannot take the heat we are accustomed to using with cotton fabric.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:51 AM

You can use the spray fusible but be careful that it does not discolor the fabric you spray it on. I was using Sullivan Spray at the time and is turned my white fabric yellow. It never did that when I sprayed it onto the batting but it destroyed the white on white fabric I used in my embroidery and it did not wash out. I wrote to Sullivan and never got a response - I was hoping they could tell me what to use but never responded.
When a friend needed to make a flag with satin-type fabric we used a two sided stick on stabilizer - she was able to draw the design on the paper - then stick it onto the fabric cut it out and then peel off the other side and stick it where she wanted it. There was no ironing involved.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:51 PM

You might want to use a permanent type of spray glue, unless you plan to sew these things on. Spray baste is supposed to be temporary and might release if the humidity is high.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 AM

Use a very light hand! the 505 is such a good product and you need very little for it to do the job.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:09 PM

Use a brayer (usually sold for flattening wall paper seams) and a thinned out 1/3 water, 2/3 Elmer’s school glue on a plate, roll the brayer in the lightly coated plate, apply to back of the fabric shape, place where you want it, and allow to dry 24 hours to be sure there are no damp spots. It will be a little messy to work with, but once it dries you can sew right through it with no problem, and it washes out so it won’t stay stiff.