Universal Machine, Advice?

Old 04-18-2018, 05:13 AM

Ha ha! When I read the post title I thought you were seeking advice for a machine model that does it all for you! As a "collector" I was eager to hear what one machine anyone would reduce to that does it all! I haven't found a good answer for the question yet "if you had to reduce to one machine, which would you choose?" Who would do such a thing?

I like the blue and chrome on that Universal machine. Using the manual as a start (when you get time), oil everything with a good sewing machine oil (not 3 in 1, or WD40), Tri-flow is great because it has teflon. Put it through several handwheel revolutions, let it sit overnight. I have had success with then sitting it on its back overnight as well. Then let us know what still isn't working.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Also, I just saw this - It has that weird plug "thingy". The motor and foot pedal plugs have to be plugged into certain slots. If they are reversed, the controller won't work, but the light will come on. So, first try reversing how they are plugged in. (I had that problem with my MW 17 Jewel, also a Japanese made model. If this doesn't make sense, I'll try to be more accurate with my language.)
bkay
Bkay that's not quite how that cord block works. The "light" part of it gets constant power when you plug it in and the "motor" part gets power when the controller is used. So if you plug the motor and light in the wrong spots, the light will come on when you press the controller(if the light switch is on) and the motor take off like a shot and will run at full speed until you unplug it.

Cari
Old 04-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Bkay that's not quite how that cord block works. The "light" part of it gets constant power when you plug it in and the "motor" part gets power when the controller is used. So if you plug the motor and light in the wrong spots, the light will come on when you press the controller(if the light switch is on) and the motor take off like a shot and will run at full speed until you unplug it.

Cari
The cord block on my MW 17 Jewel was not labeled at all. It looked generic, like it came from a hardware store. I'm not sure how it worked. I only know that when I bought it, it worked. The case stunk, so I removed everything in the case and put the case in the car in the summer stuffed with newspaper and a bowl of cat litter. (It helped, but did not totally solve the problem.) When I put it back together, it wouldn't work. By that I mean the machine was totally dead and did not respond to the controller (I can't remember if the light worked or not.). I did an online search and finally found something about the plugs. I reversed where the plugs were plugged in and it worked normally.

I thought someone else might benefit from what I experienced.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 04-18-2018 at 09:19 AM.