Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Caramel rolls1 >

Caramel rolls1

Caramel rolls1

Old 03-20-2018, 05:13 AM

Default Caramel rolls1

Most everybody has made these before, but our 3 granddaughters (newly married) came for brunch Sunday and they wanted the recipe.

2 loaves frozen bread (thawed slightly)
1 stick butter
1 package COOK & SERVE vanilla pudding (NOT instant)
1 cup brown sugar (3/4 cup is enough)
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tblsp milk

Roll each loaf in wax paper (not plastic wrap - it will stick) and refrigerate overnight. I do this right before bedtime, it thaws just enough. In morning, cut one loaf into small pieces (about size of a quarter or a bit larger) and drop in greased 9x13 cake pan (or bundt pan). Melt butter in saucepan and stir in pudding, brown sugar, cinnamon, milk. When smooth, pour over bread pieces. Cut up second loaf and fill in open spaces. Cover with a towel, let raise until double. Preheat oven to 350 and bake 25 to 28 minutes. Remove and cool for 5 minutes then tip out on wax or parchment paper.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:12 AM

It is a good recipe-I use frozen rolls instead of bread dough. We always make this for our Christmas brunch along with a breakfast casserole
Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 AM

Question: What kind of frozen bread? Just regular loaves of bread and freeze? Frozen bread in the freezer part of the store? The let rise confused me.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:00 AM

The frozen "thaw and bake" in your freezer section. Like Rhodes for example. They usually come in packs of 3 to 5 depending on brand.
Old 03-21-2018, 05:00 PM

This is similar to a recipe I used to make years ago - it used frozen rolls - I couldn't find them recently in my local grocery store. Thanks for the info, I can adapt my recipe now. I didn't think of using frozen bread loaves...
Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Little Lulu View Post
Question: What kind of frozen bread? Just regular loaves of bread and freeze? Frozen bread in the freezer part of the store? The let rise confused me.
“Let raise” means when instructions have been followed, the pieces of bread will get larger as dough warms up. This is the yeast working. Depending on room temperature, this might take approximately 2 hours. It’s so simple and if you do it once, you’ll have a great success and feeling of accomplishment not to mention good homemade pastry.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 AM

Do you cook the pudding and then add it to the butter or, is this the dry pudding mix?
Thanks Fran
Old 03-22-2018, 10:37 AM

My recipe called for butterscotch pudding, yummy!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 AM

This is the recipe I use. You can leave out the pecans.

Caramel Pull-Aparts
Skill: Beginning
Prep Time: 15
Bake Time:
Servings: 12

Ingredients:
24 Rhodes ™ White Dinner Rolls, thawed & halved
1 small box non-instant butterscotch pudding mix
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine

Caramel Pull-Aparts
Instructions:
Thaw rolls until soft (about 2 hours at room temperature). Spray bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray. Cut dinner rolls in half and dip in dry pudding mix. Arrange rolls in pan, alternately arranging and sprinkling pecans. Sprinkle remaining pudding mix over the top . Combine brown sugar and butter; heat together until butter is melted and a syrup is formed. (Microwave about 1 1/2 minutes.) Pour syrup over rolls. Cover with sprayed plastic wrap. Let rise until double in size or even with top of bundt pan. Carefully remove wrap. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes. Cover with foil the last 15 minutes of baking. Immediately after baking, loosen from sides of the pan with a knife and invert onto a serving plate.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fran Foss View Post
Do you cook the pudding and then add it to the butter or, is this the dry pudding mix?
Thanks Fran
Dry pudding mixed in the melted butter but I don’t cook further as if making pudding.