Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Had this machine given to me years ago, just realizing it is a Spartan in a cabinet >

Had this machine given to me years ago, just realizing it is a Spartan in a cabinet

Had this machine given to me years ago, just realizing it is a Spartan in a cabinet

Old 03-27-2018, 01:42 PM

Default Had this machine given to me years ago, just realizing it is a Spartan in a cabinet

Had this machine given to me years ago and opened it today moving furniture. NOW I find I have two spartan machines. One in a cabinet and one not. Am trying to find out dating info. The cabinet if some what rough from being in a shed for years. I did take it apart and cleaned it and did not register what I may have.
Attached Thumbnails dont-remember-seeing-when-i-got-free-just-realizing-one-cabinet-one-not.jpg   spartan-cabinet.jpg  
Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM

Hi there. Most Singers have an ID plate. At the base of the pillar you may a 6 or 7 digit # with a letter or two for a prefix Not sure if Spartans had them there.
Fooling pics are from a White but Singer is similar.
Attached Thumbnails white-id-plate.jpg  

Last edited by leonf; 03-27-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:22 PM

The serial number most likely consists of two letters and six numbers. It's very unusual to find a Spartan in a cabinet, it's usually a 99 with gold decals and a singer lamp. The spartan is of course exactly like a 99, but it's stripped down to the bare essentials. A cabinet is on the more expensive side, that's why I found it an unusual combination. A lamp can be fitted and often was.

You might have to spend a bit of time to get it running smoothly; in other words, detecting oil points, oil, runnig the machine and more oil. To clean under the bobbin case slide the bobbin cover completely off, then lift the lever slighly up and towards you. It will release the bobbin case. The only warning is to not mess with the screw on the lever, it will make all parts slide around, and you likely end up with tension problems. You don't need to to clean and oil, but if you have to for some reason (rust or serious amounts of grime), there are a few blog posts on it, as well as the sevice manual. A clean and well oiled Spartan should stitch perfectly and run smoothly.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:23 PM

then Ismacs can help you. http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html
Old 03-27-2018, 03:36 PM

There is no serial number on the base of the machine, first thing I looked for because I have several (a lot!) different style Singer's.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:54 PM

I can almost see 192K on the plate behind the stitch length lever, it would indicate model and UK production. I have read some Spartans are 99Ks, just very simply made up. Im not sure at all, there's not that much on this model on the web. I think the stitch length lever is always there, and the bobbin winder is very minimal, with out auto release when the bobbin is full. What does the plate on the motor bracket say? Does it have a fitting option for the lamp in the back? Is the small pedal still with the machine? I search for the 192K on ismacs and there are batches registered with serial number. The more I remind my self of this, I don't mind having a 99K.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:19 PM

I have a Spartan Hand Crank and she sews like a dream. I thought I would be completely incompetent at using a hand crank but I’m not!!! How exciting����. And I can sew as slow as I want - which for me is great as I’m normally a slow sewer on electric machines.
Old 03-27-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23 View Post
There is no serial number on the base of the machine, first thing I looked for because I have several (a lot!) different style Singer's.
Nice looking machine. According to http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...s-100-199.html the Spartan 192 and 192K was made between 1959 and 1961. Just for fun I looked at the serial numbers from that time period and it looks like the serial number should start with EP or ER. Evidently a manual is linked to the above link. I couldn't find a serial number for the 192 as listed there.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:00 PM

I love my Spartan ! The sweet little machine sews like a dream !
Old 03-28-2018, 02:45 AM

There is a batch of 192K on the 1958 list as well, EN-numbers. I looked them up on the web too, and some have managed to date their Spartan to a specific year. Could the serial number be hidden some where in the back or on the side?