Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a Charity Sewing/Quilting Group at Church -- Want Advice >

Starting a Charity Sewing/Quilting Group at Church -- Want Advice

Starting a Charity Sewing/Quilting Group at Church -- Want Advice

Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Default Starting a Charity Sewing/Quilting Group at Church -- Want Advice

After an extremely busy month of March, I finally have time to catch my breath.

I have started a quilting group at church and am interested in peoples' experiences and advice for leadership and direction. We met in March, and there were 4 of us tying a Lutheran World Relief quilt (60x80). We discussed projects that might be in our future, and I handed out a list of possibilities, some with corresponding websites for review. The experience level varies greatly with the group so far, but the enthusiasm is high all around.

Our church has the building full with a pre-school daycare program, so we are meeting in a small parlor type room with big overstuffed furniture that must be moved out of the way. It is not ideal, but we managed.

At first I expect to be preparing work for people to do at the session and to take home, but eventually my goal is to have people gain confidence and skill to start their own projects at home.

So at this point I would like to hear from those of you who lead church charity sewing groups or have started such groups. I would like your suggestions for operating the sessions, recruiting, choosing projects, planning and executing development of the group, accountability, and hints for communication and encouraging support with and from the church staff and congregation.

Thanks!

Dayle
Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 PM

With your group define your goal:
1. Charity to non-profit organizations or disasters (fires, floods, etc.)
2. Charity within the congregation for births, special circumstances.
3. Not for charity, maker keeps it.
4. Not for charity, learn new things in organized way
5. Each participant does what she/he wants and help each other.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:21 PM

We started out the above's #5 - do your own, but quickly morphed into making prayer quilts for our church's branch of the Prayers and Squares ministry. There are only a few of us and it works well if we are all working on the same quilt.http://www.prayerquilt.org/
Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 PM

we call them community quilts, some don't like the word "charity"
Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Irishrose2;8034294]We started out the above's #5

I like that your group "morphed". It means to mean that the group is alive, changing, growing. "Prayers and Squares" is on our exploration list, and I am eager to hear what the members think after they have checked out the website and have more understanding about that mission. I think it is something that the pastors and caregivers of the congregation would probably like us to do. It may take a while before we have the resources in people, materials, and skill to tackle that.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:27 PM

I'll be watching this thread for advice myself. I started a group thru the church that initially started out as quilters , but all we could do was piece. It was too expensive to send out to have quilted, so we moved towards projects that were more sewing-based. Things like baby sets of burp pads, bibs and receiving blankets. Those were donated to hospitals and a women's shelter. We've done several tie-blankets. lap to twin quilts when members are seriously ill. Book marks for the sanctuary. Christmas stockings for all the kids at church as well as 2-3 nursing homes and others churches. The stockings have become an annual tradition and are lots of fun. We're currently working on fidget mats for Alzheimer patients. Our biggest challenge is getting people to help. Out of a congregation averaging 80 weekly attendance we are a group of only 4. Any ideas on ways to get more sewists??
Old 04-04-2018, 04:05 PM

I think you are accomplishing an amazing amount of projects for such a small group! The members you have must be very dedicated.

I am hoping there will be a response here on the board that might be helpful to your situation.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:28 PM

If you are in a rural area, some women have chores to do that keep them away from church attendance, but they may have time in evenings or afternoons. I suggest you put a notice on a bulletin board at local feedstore, grocery, etc.
If you are urban, find a laundromat, variety or any local bulletin board. Some newspapers offer free space for " community events"....have a " sew in", list types of things being made, then put on the coffee & set out the cookies! You may find some will want to return.

Last edited by stitch678; 04-04-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-04-2018, 06:41 PM

Couple of things....

1). Determine size of quilt and standardize it. Another words, all of your quilt projects are the same size. (Lap etc). I would recommend to not exceed the WOF so no one has to piece backings.

2). Start with an easy, quick block and progress from there.

Everyone makes 4-patch blocks a certain size and whatever colors they want Then, someone volunteers to assemble blocks into rows or several assemble a couple of rows each. Then, some volunteers to assemble the rows....then someone volunteers to do borders, etc. These tasks can be done at home or during your groups gathering. Basic quilt techniques can be taught early on.

3). Determine whether anyone does LA or figure out, as a group, how these will be quilted. If LA not available, just tie them.

4). As a group, determine deadlines for projects.

5). Get feedback from them often and, even though everyone has great ideas, choose 1 idea a month and put other ideas back in the box for future months ahead.

6). If you end up with a whiner/complainer and nothing satisfies them, discreetly take them aside and discuss with them the goals of the group and that your group is lead by the Lord. I did this with positive results and she was a big deterrent for others to join. If this doesn't work, suggest she find another way in which she can serve God in a way she will have a positive experience.

7). DO NOT take on more work because others are lazy or unreliable. Some delays are reasonable and personal issues do come up. Of course, these are taken into consideration and maybe deadlines need to change as a result. (Share with the group regularly the personal impact that their lack of support causes.)

8). limit commitments for projects that your group can fulfill. Over-extending the group will lose participants.

Good Luck! It can be a very rewarding experience to lead.

Last edited by Teen; 04-04-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:27 PM

I will write more later but to start.....
Find out what the need for sewing projects might be. I would not start out with large quilts as they take too long and may not be needed or you need more than one to have an impact. My group makes pillow cases for nursing homes and hospitals. We also make clothing protectors and walker bags for nursing homes. To be successful and it not burden the leader, need to know the technical ability of your group. What equipment do you have. Let me know if you have specific questions.