Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting a "Prayers and Squares" Ministry at our Church.... >

Starting a "Prayers and Squares" Ministry at our Church....

Starting a "Prayers and Squares" Ministry at our Church....

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM

We're at the planning stage of a new prayer and quilting ministry at our church, (that is, new to our church - it's a well established organization) called Prayers and Squares http://prayerquilt.org/ , and am wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how to go about getting donated, or inexpensive quilting fabric to be used by the quilters to make the quilts. Also, if there are any quilters out there who love to make lap size quilt tops, and don't know who to donate them to, this would be a good ministry to get involved with. I have heard that a reasonable way to layer these quilts is to back them with fleece (no batting). The "quilting" is done by tying the quilt, as prayers are said by individuals for the person it is going to. Any suggestions, ideas, etc.??
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Hi, I started a Prayers & Squares ministry at our church a year or so ago. We're still small but going strong. When 1st starting, I went online and looked at what other churches were doing. I also called all the churches in our area that had this ministry to get suggestions. As for getting fabric, me and a couple of ladies donated some at first. We also used our scraps and made string blocks to put together. My hubby and I donated a few hundred dollars and I bought a bolt of muslin and some batting. Try going to yardsales or estate sales that say they have fabric. I have gone to a few and asked if they'd call me if they had anything left over and wanted to donate. I got 2 BIG tubs of fabric that way. Also make sure church members know they can donate funds, supplies or fabric. Give them a list of what you are looking for (perhaps put it in the bulletin). One lady came up to me and said she had some quilt tops her mother-in-law had made before she passed away and she wanted to donate them to us...ended up getting a huge tub of already made quilt tops (mostly lap/wheelchair size)! Other ladies have brought fabric saying they were done sewing and wanted to give it to us...Our church also give me $300 a year if I need it for supplies.

You can PM me if you want...

DIANNIA (pronounced Diana)
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM

Cortland, NY Pres. Church has a group called "P's and Q's" for "prayers and quilts". They open meetings with a devotional, then prayer requests, then work together. Sometimes on Charity quilts and sometimes someone teaches a new technique, or introduces a "how to" project.
Just talking about the group around the community is a good way to get donations of fabric, or put a note on Craigslist in the wanted section from time to time saying you will take scrap fabrics and yarn, fleece, batting, etc. Often people are downsizing or clearing out and will donate things. If you have a thrift shop in the area, ask them to reserve fabric and scraps for you. Sometimes they toss stuff like that.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM

We have the ministry in our church. There is a closet full of fabrics donated by quilters in the congregation. The core group of quilters can use from it, purchase their own or purchase what's needed and be reimbursed by the women's group. The two I've made have been a mix of my fabric, purchased fabric and some from the closet. I may start billing for the batting. I haven't had to buy backing, but if I do, I'll bill that, too.

It is a very meaningful ministry. So far we've done only lap size quilts for terminally ill people, but I'd like to see it expanded to include prayer squares for anyone facing health issues. A the newest kid on the block, I'll have to explore that possibilty. The quilts have been well received and much loved and used.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 AM

What a wonderful thing for you to do. I’ve never done this but 2 thoughts came to mind. 1) Ask church members for any unwanted fabric they might have just lying around and 2) you could go to freecycle.com.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 AM

Asl your local quilt guild as quilters are very generous people and probably have yardage that they will part with. Put signs up at your LQS that other quilters may see. Your local seniors centre may have people that are down sizing and would appreciate the work that you are doing and give generously to your group. Good luck with this new ministry.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Shelbie
Asl your local quilt guild as quilters are very generous people and probably have yardage that they will part with. Put signs up at your LQS that other quilters may see. Your local seniors centre may have people that are down sizing and would appreciate the work that you are doing and give generously to your group. Good luck with this new ministry.
Great ideas!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM

we started this exact ministry several years ago. To date we have sent out over 260 quilts!! :) We have had bake sales to raise money. We advertised in the paper and recieved YARDS of fabric and our own prayer ministry has a budget so we get money from there - also the quilters have graciously given of their own stash. We have advertised in our bulletin... sometimes someone requesting a quilt for a reason will donate some money for the quilt... and then some :). Advertising in the bulletin has brought in some money for it - have each church person, who will, get Joann fliers so you have plenty of coupons to use - be thrifty.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:31 AM

It will be a wonderful experience for you. I get so much more in return than what I can give with my guilts. A lot of our ladies do the simple just the lenth of pretty fabric w/fleece backing and tie. Rag quilts are also popular. I do simple quilt patterns with batting and backing, some I tie and some I SID. Most of us use our own stash. We meet monthly to pray over the quilts that have been done. We've had fabric donations and I'm always on the lookout of someone unloading fabric that I purchase and donate to the church. Good luck, it will be well worth the effort for each of you!!
Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 AM

http://members.shaw.ca/quiltneighbour/Hugs/Hug.htm

Blowing my own horn a bit, but am hoping this might be of some help to you.

I strongly urge you to find ways to get the entire body of believers involved in the prayers part of the ministry. I know that the home churches and other ministry groups that participated in tying the ties and praying for our friend were so glad to be asked to take part, and the recipient found great comfort in seeing each floss tie on the finished quilt and knowing each tie represented someone who was "praying her through." Other churches have adapted this idea [with or without the signature squares] to their prayers and squares ministry by sending quilts with ties waiting for final tying to women's ministry meetings; prayer groups; cell groups and even a men's breakfast club. There's power in prayer, and great healing power in knowing that there are many many people who have prayed for you.

Hugs for Carol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]211454[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-211448.jpe