Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what am I doing wrong >

what am I doing wrong

what am I doing wrong

Old 04-08-2018, 04:52 PM

Default what am I doing wrong

I have tried several times to use a thimble when I am hand sewing binding on quilts - - but I never can make it work.

I am fine with the thimble on my finger and everything is going well then bam! my thread breaks. Its like where I push the needle with thimble is cutting or wearing down the thread.

Is it the thimble? what am I doing wrong?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM

I suspect it may be your needle?? Is it an old, well loved/used needle? Perhaps the eye is worn?

I try to maneuver the thread such that I'm not wearing the thread in the same spot all of the time. i.e., start with a relatively long/short 'tail' and change the needle position on the tail at varying intervals?

I doubt the thimble is the culprit but perhaps?? What type of thimble are you using? What kind of thread?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

The thimble can wear the thread if the thread goes between the thimble and the needle end. I use a thimble to hand quilt and it does cause some wear on the thread end.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 AM

I use a thimble to hand quilt but not sewing on binding.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 AM

thanks for your thoughts.. I just have a regular steel thimble. I have thought of moving the thread out of the way every time before I push, but I don't always remember.

I will have to think about the needle - - - when I sew without the thimble I don't have any problems (other than my sore fingers)
Old 04-09-2018, 06:40 AM

I have an old leather thimble that I love, just seems more flexible....like Barb, I don’t always use it when stitching a binding.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:47 PM

I found small leather dots that adhere to the finger that I use to push the needle while sewing binding. I found that I can't use a regular thimble after trying different types, but I was tired of sore fingers. Found the leather dots at a quilt shop and I love them. I forget it is even there and no more sore fingers! I wish I could tell you the name but don't have the outer packaging. They seem a little pricey initially but you can reuse them for quite awhile. I usually end up losing one rather wearing it out.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I found small leather dots that adhere to the finger that I use to push the needle while sewing binding. I found that I can't use a regular thimble after trying different types, but I was tired of sore fingers. Found the leather dots at a quilt shop and I love them. I forget it is even there and no more sore fingers! I wish I could tell you the name but don't have the outer packaging. They seem a little pricey initially but you can reuse them for quite awhile. I usually end up losing one rather wearing it out.
Thanks I will keep an eye out
Old 04-10-2018, 02:08 AM

If you are sewing with a single thread, keep the "loose" end about an inch for the fabric, and move the needle along as you sew. This way it keeps moving the stress point every few stitches. Hope this makes sense.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 AM

I can't use a thimble, so I buy the little plastic self-adhesive discs. I find them at the quilt shop. They help save my fingers during hand sewing.