Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions on my scrappy quilt >

Questions on my scrappy quilt

Questions on my scrappy quilt

Old 04-11-2018, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wildernessties View Post
A couple years back I made a small scrappy quilt for my newest granddaughter using this method. I cut out some 8 inch squares from old bed sheets. Then I stitched the diagonal strips onto the square. I should clarify that I cut the actually sheet squares slightly larger than the 8 inches and then After I had stitched all the scraps on the square, I used my 8 inch template to be sure the square was as close to 8 inches as I could get it.
I was happy with the outcome so now I want to make a queen size quilt using this same method. I mentioned it to a quilter and I got the feeling she didn't care for my method. So my question to you is, do you think this will work ok for a larger quilt or is it possible it will be too heavy? Or is there another problem I'm not seeing with this method. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on the subject. I am going to attach a picture of the baby quilt so you will better understand
Beautiful baby quilt that you made! Your ideas are right along with that of women who went before us. Gwen Marston wrote a book titled "Liberated Strings", 20 foundation-free projects. She shows some historic quilts using old clothing as foundation. Same goes for some of the quilts investigated by Barbara Brackman, Quilt Historian. Why buy something new if what you have works for you. I used some expensive non-woven foundation for a quilt I started, but did not like the smell when I would press the strings as I went along. All that sits in a large plastic box, waiting for me to get caught up enough to return to that project.
I once heard a quilter say that members of one of the groups she sews with called her a "fabric snob". I have learned that there is a great deal of snobbery associated with most of the fiber-arts. Once when I was back home in Arkansas, an aunt of my father's generation pulled out an envelope to show me a Kansas City Star pattern from a newspaper. She had made quilts from that pattern and would make more, using her trusty scissors and any paper she could get her hands on, including cereal boxes to make templates. These days, we find a rotary cutter as crucial to quilting as a hammer to a carpenter.
As for using sheets in quilts, there are a few blogs that highlight the quilts made with sheets. There is a thriving business in vintage sheets for quilting.
I like the idea of using a single layer of flannel instead of batting. We sleep under a comforter year round, adding a flat flannel sheet to the covers during the winter.
Your photo of the baby quilt you made is evidence that your ideas are sound.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 AM

I have made several quilts like this and it is one of my favorite things to make. I have used muslin for foundation on several, but lately I bought some of those deli papers in a box of 500 (bought at sam's and 2 pkgs to a box; will last a life time), and I really like using those. I cut out to desired block size and use a smaller stitch and they tear out easily.
Either way works out great. Saw a tutorial on "Diamonds are Forever" string quilt and loved it, so started it; just have two blocks done and it looks great, but have some other commitments so gotta do those first. Love your baby quilt.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:31 AM
mac

Sometimes you just run into the Quilt Police...

When quilting began, there was no right or wrong way to do things, it was just done. Quilts were made for one reason and one reason only: to keep you warm when you were in bed. Of course, as time went on, people found easier ways to do things. Then came along the Quilt Police and suddenly there were rules. Never did like to follow the 'rules'. Just saying...
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM

I made a biscuit quilt for DH that is queen bedspread sized (110”x112”), used four bags of stuffing, three layers of fabric (top, base, and backing), made with 5” squares. Yes, it is heavy, but in the late fall all I hear from him is “Can we put my blanket on the bed yet?”. Lol. The silly thing weighs just under 7lbs! The only issue we have with it, is my washing machine is too small, so every spring, we have to take it to a laundromat to wash it, and then bring it home to dry (I use six dryer balls with it) because I worry about the high heat in gas dryers degrading the cotton.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
Sometimes you just run into the Quilt Police...

When quilting began, there was no right or wrong way to do things, it was just done. Quilts were made for one reason and one reason only: to keep you warm when you were in bed. Of course, as time went on, people found easier ways to do things. Then came along the Quilt Police and suddenly there were rules. Never did like to follow the 'rules'. Just saying...
How true! Don't let the Quilt Police get to you! I use sheets as backing almost all the time. Using them the way you are doing it is just fine. Your baby quilt is beautiful and the bigger one will turn out great. Like others said, you can choose a lighter batting if you think it will be too heavy.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:46 PM
DJ

Looks like your question is answered.

Beautiful baby quilt!