Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Mangoes >

Mangoes

Mangoes

Old 04-14-2018, 05:37 AM

Default Mangoes

Saw this on You Tube. Hold mango upright and slice down right next to the stone on both sides. Hold slice in left hand and use a wide rim drinking glass to peel the pulp out of the skin in one motion. No more mashed up fruit trying to peel and slice !
Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 AM

That's good info. I have massacred mine trying to peel them. That's why I don't buy them that often.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM

Or, once you have cut down each side of the stone, criss cross the flesh with the knife and invert the skin - you will have a hedgehog mango! Yummy.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Power Poster

I just used the glass method a little while ago. We like those yellow mangoes. Anyway. it worked fine, but it leaves a little slice on the sides. I just cut them off and ate the flesh off the rind. As an aside, one of my sons is allergic to the rinds. If his lips touch them, they blow up.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:55 PM

I do like Charley26, cross cut and flip out. Easy to eat and easy to cut the chunks off the skin if needed.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:24 PM

I wish I could eat one. I am allergic to them.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:52 PM

There is a lot I didn't know about mangoes. When former War Corespondent Tad Bartimus wrote a column that was carried once a week in the Tacoma, WA newspaper, I would go out of my way to get a copy of the newspaper on the days they carried her column. Then, I moved farther away, so looked up her writings via computer. In one article she wrote of the mangoe tree near their house coming down in a storm. She wanted cabinets made from the wood, but had a hard time finding anyone who was experienced with using mangoe wood because it was so toxic that most could not even touch it. Hard to comprehend how such wonderful fruit could come from such toxic wood.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I've always cut them like charley26 said... I love mangoes! I lived in Hawaii for nearly 12 years and made many a loaf of mango bread from the fruit that grew in my yard. Same recipe as banana bread, just sub mangoes. To die for!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:59 AM

My grandmother was terribly allergic to mango skin but she loved mango fruit. So she used rubber gloves to get the skins off the fruits and into the bowls. Then to get the skins into and out to the trash cans. She would get huge hives. But the fruit was no problem. Had heard the wood was very toxic.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
My grandmother was terribly allergic to mango skin but she loved mango fruit. So she used rubber gloves to get the skins off the fruits and into the bowls. Then to get the skins into and out to the trash cans. She would get huge hives. But the fruit was no problem. Had heard the wood was very toxic.
I can't touch the fruit, my hand starts to itch and get red. I definitely can't eat them, my lips and tongue swell.