Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginning hand piecing project? >

Beginning hand piecing project?

Beginning hand piecing project?

Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Beginning hand piecing project?

I have never hand pieced a quilt of any size. I will be travelling in May (2 9 hour flights and many train rides) and thought a small hand piecing project could keep me occupied.

Please pass along a good beginner project idea. It will have to fit in a gallon ziplock bag. I cannot use scissors on the plane trips, but I can check a pair in my suitcase. I can use nail clippers to clip threads.

I am not looking to piece a large quilt, a cushion cover, wall hanging etc would be plenty bit and fit into my bag.

In the past I have taken counted cross stitch, but I find the lighting on planes is not adequate for that any more, or perhaps it is my aging eyes. Perhaps I could bring a book light.

I will be taking a rotary cutter or mat along. I will have to do all my cutting prior to leaving. I have looked at hexies, not discounted them yet, but it appears there is lots of prep for them. I have one day to get this organized, between my last day of exams, packing and leaving. I leave in 2 weeks.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

I believe you can bring along scissors with blunt points. If I were looking for hand work, I think I would prefer to do hand applique, embroidery, or English Paper Piecing over regular piecing. However I usually read and people-watch when traveling.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Embroidery would be my choice. Though probably a lighting challenge, like you have found with counted cross-stitch.

EPP is great for portability. I take it along for hotel boredom or when my car is in for servicing. Though to me there are too many pieces to have and still be considerate of your seatmates (unless they are travelling with you!). To say the least, I would probably have the EPP papers flying all over the place!

For scissors you might want to get a set of these ... I am sure they meet the plane requirements.
https://www.quiltsourcecanada.ca/pro...Bitty-Scissors
I have mine on a lanyard along with a mini pin cushion.
Works great when I am handsewing in my favourite chair in the family room.
Keeps track of all that I need right at hand!

Knitting? Crocheting? ... though not sure about the travel restrictions for the needles and hooks.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:11 AM

Two weeks to prepare, but only one day allotted for prep for traveling hand-work? That definitely limits your choices.....EPP is my choice, but I really don't think one can get a "kit" together in one day, if not having done before. That is, getting papers either purchased or compiuter generated & cut, fabric decided upon and cut to size, glue stick for batting, if using that method.....and of course, a pattern to follow.........so many available. Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful trip!
Old 04-14-2018, 10:35 AM

This thread shows how 4 patches starting with 2 1/2" squares can be turned into a beautiful quilt. Her quilt is quite lovely. Lots of 4 patches
Old 04-14-2018, 10:51 AM

For lighting you could get a head lamp. One of those straps that fit around your head. They are cheap and available at Walmart
Old 04-14-2018, 11:15 AM

Thank you for the suggestions.

I know I have not given myself enough time. I did a similar trip last year and wished I had some hand work along with me. I did people watch, Sudoku, read, watched videos on the flight, chatted with seat mates etc. Unfortunately I do not sleep on planes trains etc.

I do not think knitting needles are allowed on flights. They were banned after 9/11 for many flights, but it was not across the board. My step-mum boarded one flight no problem with knitting needles, but when she transferred at LAX, they were confiscated. I could check into a crochet hook.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:12 PM

Look into inklingo. You print the pieces and seam lines on the fabric with your inkjet printer. Cut them out and sew together. She has a number a different patterns you can choose from. You could print a few pages out in an evening, then cut them out another evening. Just a few minutes per evening, maybe 30 at most, for a couple evenings and you will have your pieces ready to go.
As far as scissors for thread, some needle threaders have a thread cutter built in.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:21 PM

You can use a dental floss container cutter for cutting threads. Not sure what project would be best.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Hand piecing does not have to require a lot of prep. I learned by watching a Jinny Beyer video years ago. All she does is cut out the pieces and sew (using a single strand of thread). She "eyeballs" the seam allowance. If you are uncertain about doing that, you can pencil in the seam allowances or -- even less work -- just place a piece of blue painter's tape on a fingernail and mark 1/4" with a permanent sharpie on it. Use that to check your seam allowance periodically. It is a very forgiving process. If you find something "off" later on, you just snip a thread and re-sew. You do need to secure the thread at the beginning and end of each piece. It's also a good idea to take a small back stitch every inch or two.

I did a hexagon quilt using this method. This was before the Accuquilt Go! These days I would cut the hexagons out with the Go!. Back then I cut the fabric into strips the correct width and then used an Ardco metal window template to cut the hexagons and mark (with a pencil) the corners on the inside window. If I were to mark sewing lines or corners now, I would use a General's wash-out pencil:
https://www.amazon.com/Sketch-Wash-P...dp/B004OKVZMY/

Inkligo would be another easy way to mark sewing lines.

I would urge you to watch some hand piecing videos and practice on a few pieces before embarking. I have never seen a hand piecing video as good as Jinny Beyer's, but if I find one I will post it.

And I agree about using a dental flossing container for the thread if you are concerned about taking scissors. I think it would work better than nail clippers. There is also a neat necklace for this purpose (although completely unnecessary): https://www.amazon.com/Clover-Thread...utter+necklace

Edit: This is the best hand piecing video I could find:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5-nv-hFL1o

And here is a link to Ardco window templates for hexagons:
http://stores.cottonstop.com/hexagons/

Last edited by Prism99; 04-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.