Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help!  I've ruined a customer quilt with marker! >

Help! I've ruined a customer quilt with marker!

Help! I've ruined a customer quilt with marker!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:14 AM

Please let us know how you make out. It's surprising because I've heard nothing but positives about the washable markers. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2018, 05:25 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Be careful with the hydrogen peroxide - it may lighten or remove the fabric dye from the square - if you plan on using it try testing on an inconspicuous place.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 AM

believe it or not - instant hand sanitizer removes most ink. rub it on - let it stand a few seconds and rinse it out - of course try it in an inconspicuous spot first - I have never had it mark a fabric or remove color but there is always a first.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting is my sanity View Post
believe it or not - instant hand sanitizer removes most ink. rub it on - let it stand a few seconds and rinse it out - of course try it in an inconspicuous spot first - I have never had it mark a fabric or remove color but there is always a first.
That's a great hint! I had a blood draw this a.m. and nurse said ''wait, don't get blood on your sleeve''. I said, I'll just spit on it and it'll come out. She had never heard that blood and saliva have the same DNA, ergo, saliva removes your own blood. Taught her something!
Old 04-20-2018, 11:57 AM

Don't know if this would work but hairspray removes ink from fabric.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:22 PM

Some ink is alcohol soluble. Can you put some of the marker on another fabric and try solvents?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:04 PM

Soak it in oxy-clean for about an hour and then launder.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I use the regular Crayola Washable Markers, every color. Never had any problems getting them to wash out. I use cold water and cold water Tide.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:54 PM

I'm thinking alcohol for ink but try on scrap fabric first use the same marker
Old 04-20-2018, 08:00 PM

Update! Doing a happy dance! After trying the q-tip with blue Dawn, then q-tip with Spray & Wash and soaking while I went out for pizza, I came home and found that some of the green had basically disappeared. Of course I wasn't able to remember which I'd used on that spot! So I got out more q-tips and mixed the Dawn & Spray & Wash together and applied to the marks, soaked again for about 2 hrs. Only problem was I went ahead and let the washer spin, so since no binding on it, the extra batting around the edges after quilting was in tatters.

Called the customer this morning and explained the problem that had occurred and that was fine now but that I definitely had "washed" the quilt and would not be charging (its was crib quilt so not a huge loss & my reputation more important). she was very ok with it (I've done many crib quilts for her) and actually was glad that I had washed it and no bleeding of the red! since I'd never had this happen before, I asked her if she had starched it and she said yes--so lesson learned--not to use Crayola UltraClean with starched fabric! (or maybe at all!!)