Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help-Pfaff Expression 2 Issue >

Help-Pfaff Expression 2 Issue

Help-Pfaff Expression 2 Issue

Old 04-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Default Help-Pfaff Expression 2 Issue

My thread is bunching on the bottom and the top thread is breaking. I had it serviced and I it didn’t help. I believe thread is coming off of the take up lever. Can the take up lever be replaced? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:45 PM

This may be of no help at all, but I have this same machine. There are times I think my thread catches on the take up level, like there is a growth or something on it. My Pfaff dealer once showed me how to "clean" this area. It is kind of hard to explain, but it might be helpful. He showed me how to take a dollar bill and sort of clean on both sides of it. Hold the dollar bill at the top and bottom, not folded or anything. It should have one edge towards the machine and one towards you. Gently slide the dollar bill into the slot that has the take up lever and move it up and down. Do that on the other side of that lever too. Usually I get a bit of thread fuzz out.

Other than that, reinserting the bobbin and rethreading usually help too.

Hope this makes sense, and hope it helps.

Dina
Old 04-21-2018, 06:57 PM

It would probably be best if you took the machine back to the shop, with the thread you're using and the fabric you're sewing on. Then show the tech what's happening. If you paid for a service, they should be willing to take the time to check what's happening, and help you fix the problem.

My first thought is that you may have missed a step when threading the top thread. When thread bunches on the bottom, it usually means the thread isn't in the top tension or the top tension is too loose.

Sewing with hand quilting thread can also be a culprit. And sewing with the needle in backwards...

When thread breaks, it often means there's a burr on the hook or the plastic bobbin basket is damaged.

The take-up lever rarely needs replaced. However, the timing could be off and the take-up could be pulling at the wrong time -- not in sinc with the needle or feed dogs. But that should have been fixed with the service.

I hope you can get back to sewing, soon.