Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting fabric yardage >

Rotary cutting fabric yardage

Rotary cutting fabric yardage

Old 04-14-2018, 01:57 PM

Default Rotary cutting fabric yardage

It seems no matter how hard I try, I have difficulty keeping a square edge when cutting strips of fabric from yardage. I'm extremely careful to maintain my ruler square to the bottom fold and to the cut edge to the point it takes me forever to get a quilt cut out . I've pretty much always only cut 2 layers at a time WOF, folded lengthwise, as it would come off the bolt, ensuring it is on straight of grain first of course. I find after a few cuts, I have to re-square my edge as the ruler must have shifted it on me. I've seen it demonstrated to fold the fabric again, to have four layers, stating it provides more accurate and quicker cutting, but then I feel like I am just introducing another opportunity for a problem if I don't get it folded 100% correctly. How do most people cut from the yardage? 2 layers or 4 layers? Opinions? I use a Creative Grids non slip 24.5" by 6.5" ruler and an Olfa cutter and mat. I think part of my problem is I'm trying so hard, I put too much tension/pressure on the ruler and cutter that I push it off square .

Thanks for for your advice and input.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

I usually cut 4 layers but like you, have to keep turning the fabric to get a straight edge again.
I know how you feel! It can be a pain. I don't have any magic for you
Old 04-14-2018, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
It seems no matter how hard I try, I have difficulty keeping a square edge when cutting strips of fabric from yardage. I'm extremely careful to maintain my ruler square to the bottom fold and to the cut edge to the point it takes me forever to get a quilt cut out . I've pretty much always only cut 2 layers at a time WOF, folded lengthwise, as it would come off the bolt, ensuring it is on straight of grain first of course. I find after a few cuts, I have to re-square my edge as the ruler must have shifted it on me. I've seen it demonstrated to fold the fabric again, to have four layers, stating it provides more accurate and quicker cutting, but then I feel like I am just introducing another opportunity for a problem if I don't get it folded 100% correctly. How do most people cut from the yardage? 2 layers or 4 layers? Opinions? I use a Creative Grids non slip 24.5" by 6.5" ruler and an Olfa cutter and mat. I think part of my problem is I'm trying so hard, I put too much tension/pressure on the ruler and cutter that I push it off square .

Thanks for for your advice and input.
Get a slide lock ruler they work wonders on slippage
Old 04-14-2018, 02:50 PM

When I first started I had the same problem. I was pushing to the side more than pushing down. As you can tell the ruler is shifting. You can also "walk" your hand up the ruler as you cut. Cut a little, walk your hand, cut a little, walk your hand. and so forth.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Get a slide lock ruler they work wonders on slippage
This is my suggestion also.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I usually cut 4 layers but like you, have to keep turning the fabric to get a straight edge again.
I know how you feel! It can be a pain. I don't have any magic for you
Thank you for your empathy . It seems like a simple thing that’s so hard for me . Do you find it easier to cut and stay straight by cutting 4 layers at a time?
Old 04-14-2018, 03:09 PM

You are correct that you have to re-square the cutting line on the ruler with most cutting methods. No matter how careful the fabric shifts/moves and goes off square.

Try this video.

http://quiltersplanner.com/power-cut...ay-cut-fabric/

This may be different from your method.

This is my favorite. (Found it again by luck for you.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw

Also try a larger square ruler instead of the strip ruler. It holds more of the fabric in place. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2018, 03:09 PM

It isn't unusual to have to resquare after several cuts. I don't think it's because you're doing something wrong. I fold twice and cut through 4 layers. I would think there's less chance of slippage when you cut 4 layers, simply because you aren't cutting such a long distance. I put the guidelines 4 quilting gripper strips on the bottoms of all of my rulers. I hated cutting before I got those; I could not keep the ruler from slipping.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:22 PM

I read somewhere to hold the ruler in place with your thumb and 3 fingers. Place your little finger on the fabric, as a sort of anchor. Those little gripper pads are great to help hold the ruler in place, too.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

The Slidelock really helps. I either use the Slidelock alone, or I place the Slidelock on top of the ruler I want to cut with. Either way, it helps.

I even use the Slidelock on my June Tailor mats. The mats in conjunction with the Slidelock allow me to cut more strips before having to re-square the edge. The June Tailor Shape Cut Pro is big enough to allow me to cut strips just from the one fold. When using it, I am usually just cutting one fabric at a time (2 layers) because it is harder for me to get 2 fabrics lined up exactly at the fold. The limitation of the JT Pro is that the slots are all 2.5" apart, but it is great for that strip width. I can cut 8 strips with the mat before having to re-position.