Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutting fabric yardage >

Rotary cutting fabric yardage

Rotary cutting fabric yardage

Old 04-14-2018, 08:03 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. I had a look at the Slidelock Ruler, and I'm sure I've seen it at quilt shows, but never really paid it much attention. It does look like a very useful tool and will be on my backup plan list. My husband just rolled his eyes, as only this morning I was discussing wanting to get a Blocloc ruler, and now this ruler is recommended. I'm going to give the twice folded method another shot for a bit and see if I can't get more comfortable with it as I mentioned in my earlier reply to RhondaK, i do seem to have a bit better result with it, having tried it again.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:56 AM

jordan fabrics idea with weight on end works, walking those fingers on the ruler along with cutter works, and I just bought an Olga long ruler with a lip on the edge, sort of like a T ruler, at Walmart, best price!
Old 04-15-2018, 04:48 AM

I love the Stripology ruler. I eat Gudra in Shipshewana 2 years ago and saw it demonstrated...love it.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:11 AM
anonymous

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
Get a slide lock ruler they work wonders on slippage
I agree. Comes in 2 sizes. Nice when a ruler/gadget really works.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:39 AM

I cut 4 layers at a time for width of fabric strips. Do you line up the bottom of your fabric along a horizontal line from your mat before you cut? I do & if the end needs it I place it just over one of the vertical lines to square it. As you cut, using the mat lines this way, it'll be easier to keep it straight.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:15 AM

I have the same problem even using my stripology ruler. Think its just something we have to deal with.....or at least I do. After about 4-6 cuts, I check my squareness and trim if necessary and then carry on with my cutting. Usually don't have to trim much off though. I just thought it was a way of life we have to deal with. Glad to know others have the same problem as me.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kwiltr View Post
SusieQOH, I'm sorry, I just read my reply to you and I have no idea how I got an emoticon with the tongue sticking out! I hope I didn't offend you, as I sure appreciate your feedback and certainly didn't intentionally do that.
Oh dear- I'm more thick-skinned than that!! Haha!!! Not much gets to me
Hope you got some help from the others. It sure can be a pain!
Old 04-15-2018, 01:00 PM

Four layers, June Tailor slotted ruler and I still have to straighten after four or five cuts. Just a tiny bit - less than 1/8", but a necessary thing. I just live with it.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:20 PM

Like you, I was often frustrated with cutting yardage. I used to only buy yardage because it's cheaper per yard than precuts, and then find myself frustrated at the amount of time it would take to press/cut/re-square/repeat only to be dissatisfied with the cuts I was getting because the ruler would slip. I finally invested in a Stripology (Creative Grids) ruler and every time I use it, I love it and am grateful to have it. My only regret is not purchasing it sooner. We're pretty frugal, so I don't normally spend money on gadgets or notions.

The plastic is a little thicker and harder than the June Tailor Shape Cuts, so I prefer the Stripology. You do have to fold the fabric twice (into 4 layers) for the initial cuts. I try to be just as careful in making sure everything is straight and flat, so haven't had a problem with a V at the fold line. And my goodness, the amount of time it saves not having to reposition the ruler after every cut. Good grief. I can cut a jelly roll in less than an hour and it's actually fun! It's so rewarding to use that ruler. It was around $50-55 when I got it on Amazon, but worth every single penny.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:44 AM

Having to "resquare" can be expected. If you are off just a thread or two with several cuts, eventually you will find it isn't square any more! I cut with the fabric folded so there are 4 layers and find that resquaring is just one of those things to do.