View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 01:57 PM
Kwiltr

Default Rotary cutting fabric yardage

It seems no matter how hard I try, I have difficulty keeping a square edge when cutting strips of fabric from yardage. I'm extremely careful to maintain my ruler square to the bottom fold and to the cut edge to the point it takes me forever to get a quilt cut out . I've pretty much always only cut 2 layers at a time WOF, folded lengthwise, as it would come off the bolt, ensuring it is on straight of grain first of course. I find after a few cuts, I have to re-square my edge as the ruler must have shifted it on me. I've seen it demonstrated to fold the fabric again, to have four layers, stating it provides more accurate and quicker cutting, but then I feel like I am just introducing another opportunity for a problem if I don't get it folded 100% correctly. How do most people cut from the yardage? 2 layers or 4 layers? Opinions? I use a Creative Grids non slip 24.5" by 6.5" ruler and an Olfa cutter and mat. I think part of my problem is I'm trying so hard, I put too much tension/pressure on the ruler and cutter that I push it off square .

Thanks for for your advice and input.