Kenmore model 83

Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 PM

Default Kenmore model 83

Newbie here, please be kind if I have missed finding previous information. I have searched as much as I could on here before joining.

I just picked up a Kenmore model 83 (a deal ? ) and trying to gather information. Model number is 117.831 so I see it is from 1938. I found that it is manufactured by White and should be the equivalent of a White Rotary model 77. Am I on track so far?

It is in working condition and seems to sew quite well for the little I have tried thus far, I need to get some oil for it before I go really testing it as I do not want want to damage it.

Questions I have so far are:

1. Can I drop feed dogs, and if so, how?
2. Where can I find attachments, most specifically a quilting foot if answer to #1 is yes?

I’m sure more will come up in time as this is brand new to me. Also going to post about another beauty I picked up same day.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Gerry
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Gerry, You have probably already googled for this machine manual, so have seen the same hits I did. I see that someone on Bonanza is advertising the manual for a a bit over $9, I think it was $9.47. Bonzanza is similar to e-bay. I have ordered a few things from them and was pleased with the service. Good luck with your search and using the machine.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gerry113 View Post
Questions I have so far are:

1. Can I drop feed dogs, and if so, how?
2. Where can I find attachments, most specifically a quilting foot if answer to #1 is yes?
Welcome, Gerry.

I'm pretty sure the feed dogs do not drop. I'm thinking that you are referring to a FMQ foot. I believe there was what was called "The Ellis Adjustable Darner and Embroiderer Foot" made in early 1900s by Greist that would probably fit your machine. I have never seen one in real life. There was a "quilter foot" that had an opening for a quilting bar could be put in to evenly sew from previous line of stitching.

You can download a manual for the White 77 at http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/f...e8377451c4.pdf and http://woodlan2.wwwss40.a2hosted.com...-77-Manual.pdf If you look at page 25 or 26 of either manual you will find instructions on quilting and darning with your machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:18 PM

Thank you both,

The manual will certainly come in handy. Picked up some oil this evening and oiled it up. Still needs some basic cleaning but nothing that interferes with the oiling or operation. Going to have to pick a project for a test run.

I actually was meaning FMQ and I think you are right that the dogs won’t drop, but they do on the other vintage I picked up, a Sterling de luxe, which will be another post. 😉
Old 05-12-2018, 08:07 PM
Banned

You don't need to drop the feed dogs on some machines to FMQ. I have an ugly 15 clone that I call Orphan Annie, well she free motions very well with her dogs up or down, it doesn't matter to her. And I leave the regular straight stitch foot on her because she doen't like any other foot I've tried. I just set the stitch length to zero and away we go. I would lessen the presser foot pressure but no need on Annie since her spring is worn out and she doesn't hold any real pressure for regular sewing, all she wants to do is quilt.

Cari
Old 05-13-2018, 04:02 AM

Cari

Hadn’t thought about the presser foot pressure. I know about it being adjustable, sounds like something I can try on the Sterling I got, I figured out how to drop the dogs on that one, may be able to start up using that. Although that one takes regular short shank feet from what I understand.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gerry113 View Post
Cari

Hadn’t thought about the presser foot pressure. I know about it being adjustable, sounds like something I can try on the Sterling I got, I figured out how to drop the dogs on that one, may be able to start up using that. Although that one takes regular short shank feet from what I understand.
I think all clones are low shank. Using the regular foot on Orphan Annie makes it a little hard to see what I'm doing when quilting but she just doesn't like any of the darning or hopping feet I've tried on her. She's an old beat up black Universal badged clone I bought years ago from ShopGoodwill for 6 bucks. She ain't pretty and no one else wanted her(she had been listed for several weeks) so I took pity and bought her.

Cari