Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
White FR hand crank addition progress >

White FR hand crank addition progress

White FR hand crank addition progress

Old 04-14-2018, 05:18 PM

Default White FR hand crank addition progress

I had to take the machine to the shop because it was out of timing, which is probably what got it put out in a garage for all those years. But I got a wooden prototype of the bracket done and it works It does need to be a little farther away from the handwheel, but when I make the metal one it'll be more stable. The wood actually cracked on me but when I held the thing still it stitched successfully. It's one of the new cranks from china with the rattly handle so I have to do something about that too.
It looks ugly because I was blasting the paint off to repaint it matte black and ran out of time to get it all.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:12 AM

Does this white rotary handwheel turn towards you like a Singer or like most Whites ( away from you)?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Does this white rotary handwheel turn towards you like a Singer or like most Whites ( away from you)?
Away. So the crank ends up turning towards you
Old 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM

What is the blue thing on the "finger" of the hand crank? Plastic tubing?
Old 04-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia M. View Post
What is the blue thing on the "finger" of the hand crank? Plastic tubing?
Thats a piece of an old seam ripper :P. When I’m back in welding class next quarter I’ll make metal pieces for that part and where it mounts to the machine
Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 PM

Please let us know how the action of turning the handcrank towards you, feels.

When I convert Singers and Vintage Japanese machines, I use a piece of clear tubing to replace what comes on the reproo HC. If you need the diameter, let me know. I l also use 2 smaller sizes of tubing to fix the bobbin winder problem .
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Huh!! I have always wanted to make my White FR treadle hand-crankable, but I thought the reverse turning direction of the wheel made it unworkable. It never occurred to me that the standard hand cranks would also work if cranked the other way��. Now to line them up and see what mods I would have to make to work it. One the other hand...considering the size of the head and how smoothly it treadles, maybe I should leave well enough alone! ��
Old 04-17-2018, 09:41 PM

I'm trying to find a carrying case to put it in now but none of the ones i can find that have the hinges are the right dimensions. I could shave off some of the plastic to make the bed fit but none of them have the hinge pins in the right spot. There's a universal case that might fit it even with the crank on it, but it might be unstable in that and oiling the underside would certainly be a pain. :/
Old 04-18-2018, 06:13 AM

Since it has "feet", technically it (the White) can be used on any flat surface.

Generally, even Singers don't fit in their cases with the handcrank on. It is not a pin issue, rather room on the right side.
There are bases made upon which the machines sit, that have no pins. This one had a bolt on the bottom. It is great that you can carry by the head, but pins get underneath and it is a pain to oil. I have others that you would have to pick up by the case. No top though.
Attached Thumbnails pa050033-2-.jpg  
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42 AM

Here’s the 3d printed bracket