Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts >

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Jen Kingwell blocks and finished quilts

Old 02-17-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by costumegirl View Post
Is anyone here doing the Boho Heart Quilt Along on FB that started this past week? I have my pattern and was ready to start but due to circumstances could not sew this week - will have to catch up next week and try to get 2 weeks done.
No, I'm not. I signed up so I would receive the e-mails and instructions I'm too busy with other things.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
Thanks for the nice comments!

Below is the last full section - the City is a Jungle! This was great fun to do, lots of good jungle animals having a good time.

Then I attached it to the other panels and the only piece left to do are the hills. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to work on those.

I have to give credit for a lot of my fabric to the Birthday Candy Swap. We exchange 50 2.5 inch cuts of fabric throughout the year - you receive your pieces on your birthday. My first year there were 35 participants (1,750 different fabric squares!) and last year 24 (1,200 squares). In my South America/Asia you can see all the different fun colored animal prints - those were from the swap. Also, lots of other pieces especially in the sky and grass were also from that swap. This years swap is open to new participants until February 20 if you want to join in the fun! It's a great swap if you like scrappy quilts.

Now the big question - how am I going to quilt it!???!!!??
WOW!!!!!! That's stunning. Look at all those animals! And you're almost finished!
Can't help you on the quilting, mine is still waiting in line. With all those seams I can't think of anything fancy though. I think I'll just do SID. That will be difficult enough!
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 AM

Have not made any progress with my Dear Jen other than to get the fabric picked out. Pulled my KF fabric and then plain solids to go with them. They are all setting in a tote waiting for me.

I was thinking of coming up with an idea with one of the alternative layouts, but keep thinking how much I really do like the original with the three in a row.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:39 AM

MacyBaby - I used some KF fabric in my Small World quilt, Jen and Kaffe pair up well!

AND -------- The top is done!!!!!!

I finished the hills - the back hill has the extinct dinosaurs, the Dresden Fan has imaginary animals, the hexagons Australia and the New York Beauty represents the Artic. This was my second New York Beauty - the first one (sewn) looked like she went clubbing all night! Not a pretty sight! I ended up "cheating" and making it with applique instead of sewing it. Honestly, I am a little upset that I couldn't sew it (but I don't blame myself!) The templates NEED to have the 1/4" added with hash marks!! Trying to recreate the templates, which have a curve to them, was a nightmare -- it just didn't work. I felt like I was being set up to fail. But I decided since this quilt is going up on the wall that applique would give me the look without the anxiety!

I did love doing this quilt and really appreciate all the cheerleading and advice from all of you. I'm going to take a small break from it and then start quilting it.

Attached Thumbnails hills.jpeg   complete.jpeg  
Old 03-06-2021, 11:43 AM

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh congrats on finishing and what a finish!! It's stunning! I love everything about it.
Well done! Give yourself a pat on the back!!
Did you decide how to quilt it?
Old 03-06-2021, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Anael View Post
Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh congrats on finishing and what a finish!! It's stunning! I love everything about it.
Well done! Give yourself a pat on the back!!
Did you decide how to quilt it?
I'm still trying to decided how to do the sky - I've seen straight line "x"ing each square or just a meander. The body of the quilt I think is going to be a lot of internal echo. I keep mulling it over!
Old 03-06-2021, 07:26 PM

It’s phenomenal, Irish! It is so colorful. The illustrations of the animals everywhere makes it a true story board. Those hot air balloons are just perfect....this whole thing is so dang creative. Congratulations on this fabulous finish!
Old 03-07-2021, 03:50 AM

Irish Mom - great job finishing your Small World top! I love the way the colors play together.

I haven't done a thing on my Dear Jen for several weeks. Got too many blocks of the month going! But will get back to it soon.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:02 PM

I finally got around to start my Dear Jen- here is my block 1 row. I've decide to keep the background constant for each set.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5318.jpg  
Old 03-14-2021, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

IrishMom...love it...this quilt is still calling to me..
Striking start, Macybaby!