Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is ruler folding? >

What is ruler folding?

What is ruler folding?

Old 06-17-2018, 11:15 PM

Default What is ruler folding?

Do tell. I read about it and I might want to do it.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Gay

I assume it's using a wide ruler to fold lengths of fabric, then pull the ruler out. Really not sure, but I think this question was posted only a few weeks ago, though I can't find it now.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:04 AM
Power Poster

here's a video showing how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQpV-Wt0eY
Old 06-18-2018, 04:54 AM

I use my 6x24 inch ruler. I fold the length of fabric around the ruler and then pull out the ruler. I store my fabric in a bookcase and lay large folded lengths (anything over 4 yards) on shelves. For shorter lengths, I fold using the ruler and then fold in half bringing the long ends together, and then stack on the shelves like books. It is amazing how much fabric can be stored in a small space and you have a nice clear view of what is on the shelves.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
I use my 6x24 inch ruler. I fold the length of fabric around the ruler and then pull out the ruler. I store my fabric in a bookcase and lay large folded lengths (anything over 4 yards) on shelves. For shorter lengths, I fold using the ruler and then fold in half bringing the long ends together, and then stack on the shelves like books. It is amazing how much fabric can be stored in a small space and you have a nice clear view of what is on the shelves.

This is what I do too! When I first retired I went through my closet to see what I could put on my shelves. Gosh.....too much! Now I'm looking at a couple of patterns/fabric that I purchased in the early 90's. I may make one of them as it's a quilt. The other is a jacket. I have all the fabric for the jacket. I'm not sure I have backing for the quilt.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Power Poster

Years ago I folded all my fabrics using a 6 x 24" ruler. I folded fabric selvage to selvage and folded with the ruler. I have 4-6 yard pieces and have them stacked on wire shelves in a large closet. I folded smaller pieces the same, all in stacks. I can see all my fabrics at a glance.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM

The above video shows the general concept but is sloppy.

Let me help with a little technique. I use a 6.5 x 24.5 inch ruler. Lay the fabric so fold is on the left side and selvages on right. The fabric is folded as it comes off the bolt.

Lay the ruler so a line is squared on the fold line. Fold over about 3-4 inches. Hold the first fold of fabric and continue folding to end. Tuck in any excess so the edge is neat and tidy. Then fold in half.

Your fabric will be approx 6.5 x 11 inches. I don't fold again in quarters. These stack neatly on the closet shelf. To take out a fabric from the shelf, slide the ruler under it and slide out of place.

If the fabric is 3 yards or more, I fold the length in half and fold as above.

All fabric is measured, then folded and tagged with date so I don't have to UN-measure to know how much is in a piece.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM

GingerK What would be the smallest piece that will stand as a book?
Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM

It really depends more on how tightly you pack them. My usual minimum is 1 yard. Shorter pieces can be folded the same way but do better with stacking on the shelf instead of being put in like a book. I also got my DH to install extra shelves for my bookcase. They are about 8 inches apart. I try to keep like fabric on the same shelf--kids' fabric, christmas fabric, blenders, blacks, whites, etc. Which reminds me--I really need to go thru my fabric and resort. Things are very mixed up at the moment.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:21 AM

I finally used this method in January when I moved into my new sewing studio and organized my (modest) stash by color...it certainly gives you a feeling of being tidy and organized.