Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweights sold at quilt shows?. >

Featherweights sold at quilt shows?.

Featherweights sold at quilt shows?.

Old 06-20-2018, 04:14 AM

Default Featherweights sold at quilt shows?.

January and the Road to California quilt show will soon be here before we know it. While walking the aisles at this year’s show, I spied several beautiful featherweights or at least they looked like ones I’ve seen posted here. Prices were a bit steep but oh were they beautiful with custom paint jobs and embellishments. There are not many sewing machine shops where I live nor is there a big interest in featherweights for sale so I need to look elsewhere. I don’t have any interest in restoring one so if I do purchase one it needs to be in excellent condition ready for piercing.
So here are my questions:
Should I save my pennies and splurge on a machine this coming January at the quilt show?
When considering such a purchase, What should I ask the vendor other than the warranty, repairs, and preventative maintainnence?
Any tips when purchasing that you wished you had known before you purchased your featherweight?
thanks!
Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 AM

They are beautiful, aren't they?
Have you ever sewn with one? Some don't care for the vibration/feel of the machine.
Ask to test sew one.
Ask if it has the original bobbin case.
Like any machine, regular oiling is important, even if it sits a while.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 AM

If there isn't an interest in featherweights where you live you may be able to find a bargain. Be sure to look around before you go to the quilt show. You may be able to purchase low and get someone else to revive it for you. If you are into that kind of thing. Of course everyone has the internet and often they are internet prices and nothing has been done to them. If one has been redone, you shouldn't have any problems with it at all. What I wish I had known before I purchased was how difficult replacing the broke latch was on the case. Whew, DH struggled with it. I would be sure to purchase a complete case too.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:19 AM

You are unlikely to get a warranty. They are all old machines even if they have been restored.

Check the wiring carefully. There are often places missing insulation..

You won't be able to handcrank them.
Wichix's bobbin case question is essential.

I have three, may go look at another today.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 AM

I saw several at the quilt show I addended last week - and was floored at what they were asking. $600- $700 or more and that was for a cleaned, serviced machine, not a repaint. You might be better to get a restored one off eBay. Especially if the vendor is not local, so you'd be in the same boat if you had problems.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:32 AM

My husband bought me a beautiful Featherweight off eBay. She barely looks used. He did pay a premium price. When we got it the power cord was bad so I took it to a woman here who used to do vintage machine repairs and the vendor picked up the cost. If you just want a machine that sews nicely, there are still bargains out there for the not so pretty machines that sew well. I personally love my Featherweight but it isn't for everyone. I would suggest trying one out before you buy especially if you aren't used to sewing on a vintage machine.

I agree, Cathy. Last fall at Quilt Festival in Houston I saw some prices that amazed me. I thought my husband paid too much for mine and the ones I saw last fall were 30% higher than what he paid.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:00 PM

I bought my FW at a quilt show 5 years ago and I just love my machine. She didn't have a 'complete makeover' so she has a few blemishes here & there but she sews like a dream and she is my primary machine. I paid
$275 and think I got a great bargain. Also included a case however it's missing the top tray. Still a great deal.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
I bought my FW at a quilt show 5 years ago and I just love my machine. She didn't have a 'complete makeover' so she has a few blemishes here & there but she sews like a dream and she is my primary machine. I paid
$275 and think I got a great bargain. Also included a case however it's missing the top tray. Still a great deal.
That is a great deal! The ones I looked at last fall at Quilt Festival started about $400 and went up from there.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:09 PM

I got 2 at church bazaars, and 2 at estate sales. The most I paid was $25. Keep checking around, maybe you will find one.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I got 2 at church bazaars, and 2 at estate sales. The most I paid was $25. Keep checking around, maybe you will find one.
Wow! I need to shop with you!